Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoration opinions please

Restoration opinions please

I have heard arguments both ways

1] buy the best car you can and go from there

2] buy the cheapest you can find and start there.

I'm 70 now, and thinking to retire in a year or two. My retirement gift from my wife is a mid 60's-mid 70's restomod. Either finished before purchase by others, or a basket case that I have done myself, to my spec.

The backstory. In 1963 when I was just 12, Studebaker came out with the Avanti. i immediately fell in love with it, and from then until my last move about 10 years ago I had an AMT Avanti plastic model car. I've lusted after one for all this time. About 10 years ago, I almost bought one, but it just didn't happen. Now, once again, I have a chance.
    The choice is: do I buy a well preserved one, (price range 20-30,000 U.S.)and modify it, o4 a car in need of work(I have 4 on my list right now: one for $1500, one for $3000 (both run and drive) another for 6800(doesn't drive)and another for $8800(no motor, good body).
    In an ideal world, It will get a crate engine, new interior, new front chassis clip(Art Morrison makes one specific)and of course a slick paint job. Believe it or not, my wife is ok with me spending this much money on the car, provided I sell the Jag.
    I'm inclined to go for one of the cheap ones, since I'm replacing so much of it anyway, but I remember seeing Boyd Coddington and Dave Kindig, and Danny Koker saying get the best you can.
    Of course, an Avanti is fibreglass, so the rust issue won't be there, so maybe the starting condition doesn't matter.
    Not particularity looking for consensus, just opinions, or experience.

We are also planning to restore my son's 89 Foxbody coupe(Hammerhead on the board has made an offer to do the paint/body), so I hope to have a busy retirement
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert

Foxstang
    I've done both... pay more upfront for a nicer start or less for more work later....

Go for a better cleaner car upfront. Rust repair sucks, sucks bad... Even a mint roller is better than a fully optioned rust bucket.

A typically rust bucket will cost you more to fix than it is worth IF you are paying someone else to do it.

On the other hand there are a lot of people especially skilled at hiding what is really underneath with some body work and nice paint.

It’s not uncommon to spend more and still find a money pit.

just to clarify just because its fiberglass doesn't mean it cant be a rust bucket. frame, structure ext.

Imo find someone who is very familiar with these cars and bring them along to go over it.

also keep in mind you can "fix" fiber glass and make it look great but if you dont do it properly it will crack and delaminate.
    Last edited by 5.4MarkVIII; 11-03-2020 at 07:00 PM.

I'd say , buy one already to go , jump in in and go, at 70 how many years can you enjoy it + it's going to take a good year or two to build it !!!! IMHO
    ~REMEMBER, " life in prison" doesn't mean SHIT to a senior citizen ~ http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/for...4&type=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    Of course, an Avanti is fibreglass, so the rust issue won't be there, so maybe the starting condition doesn't matter.
    I would be worried about the frame and attachment points for the fiberglass panels.
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

I'd say if you're planning to do it yourself, you're going to want to enjoy the experience.

In that case, the less rust the better as everything comes apart easier and there's less of the dreaded bodywork.

Whatever your budget is, double it and add 10gs.

Nothing more expensive than a cheap project car. Best course is find someone else who put the money in to build it the way you'd want or at least has most of the parts and sorting figured out and pay $0.60 on the dollar, or find the nicest example you can and make it your own from there even if it takes longer.

I've seen more project blow up on the launch pad because someone bought the cheap one and was missing parts that took eons to source (problem with rare birds like the one you lust after) or it got stuck in the paint and body jail as the onion was peeled back.

Whatever you do make a plan, do as stated above and take you budget and just toss it out the window, and remember the point here is to enjoy the build and the end result.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Wow - talking about picking a rare one - I would think it all depends on your budget. It would be a bit of a shame to hack up a 30,000$ car to make a resto-mod especially one so rare. I think any of the names you mentioned would advise you against dismembering a classic with potential numbers matching - Art Morrison can make a complete frame and I think that would be more ideal than a front clip and easier to get the resto-mod stance - all other metal work to follow - I would think you need a solid plan and know how much of the original parts you want to have in the end eg. interior, emblems, lights, chrome pieces etc. - Fiberglass is not an automatic slam dunk either - This is exciting either way it will have a big price tag to create a resto-mod but I think thats the way to go if you want a nice cruzer with a modern feel - get a good plan and best of luck... would love to see this come to life...
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen06GT View Post
    Whatever your budget is, double it and add 10gs.
    I'm well aware that this could be more than my Jag was brand new.
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert