Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  20

Thread: New trans from Tremec..........very cool.

New trans from Tremec..........very cool.

If there is one thing that stands out as a great aspect of this job, it has to be finding out about the new products the aftermarket manufacturers are getting ready to release to enthusiasts—before they are actually released. I received an email the other day from the folks at TREMEC, touting an all-new transmission that could revolutionize manual overdrive swaps.
    I’m sure you know that TREMEC is a leading manufacturer of manual transmissions and components, and when the email spoke of the release of an all-new five-speed transmission, dubbed TKX, to say I was immediately interested is an understatement. This new gearbox is a rear-wheel-drive manual transmission developed solely for the aftermarket. That means you will not find this unit in a salvage yard under a late-model Camaro or a Mustang.
    The team at TREMEC was able to create a relatively small unit while keeping strength a big priority. Clearance in most transmission tunnels is now available without floor modifications.

This is another great upgrade option for inclusion in your hot rod. “The sleek new design and enhanced performance make this perfect for your next restomod project,” says Mike Kidd, aftermarket business unit manager at TREMEC. “The TKX was designed, tested, and built specifically for the aftermarket.”
    The fact this overdrive transmission is capable of smooth, high-RPM shifts and be able to survive behind an engine delivering 600 lb.-ft. of torque makes it perfect for both street and performance applications. But I was curious about what prompted the design of the TKX? “We listened to our customers,” says Kidd. “We then combined their suggestions with our OEM technology and strengthened our aftermarket lineup with the addition of the TKX.”
    The new TKX affords three shifter positioning locations to fit most situations.

I am told that TREMEC engineers took a forward-looking approach to find the best and most efficient solution to building this new transmission. This includes universal packaging, excellent shifting performance, and extreme durability.

Looks good and seems like it will offer more tunnel clearance for the older cars.
    Sounds like they've addressed the "shifting issues" if they really did listen to their customers.

If it does, will be a winner.

Yes Hopefully the TKX finally has the high rpm shift issue resolved. I was shocked when I purchased a new TKO transmission from summit and could not shift over 6000rpm to save my life. Had to purchase after market carbon fibres sychros which allow me to shift at 7000rpm with some confidence but even then need replacing ever 3 years....rediculas. I like manual on street but automatic would be best for 1/4 mile track days.

Little 2V 700+ RWHP, Pump Gas
    10.46 sec @ 136 mph

First time I drove one hard, surprised by same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    First time I drove one hard, surprised by same issue.
    What do you think about the TKX ? My initial thoughts were this tranny is going to cancel out the other ones. But for the money if I had to choose would I go T56 or TKX ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m not slow, I just like the way your bumper looks

As yet unproven so hard to have an opinion but hopes it plays out as billed. The T56, strong trans but shifts like a big heavy trans. Once you jump up to the Magnum, all of the strength n shifts decidedly nicer. Cool part about them, I've got one of each to compare. Have however noticed, shifter selection plays a huge roll in how well all of the above work n feel. After 4 or 5 different shifters in the Cobra, gone back to a Pro50 with my own custom handle. For the Magnum, removed MGW n back to the stock Tremec shifter.