Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  186
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Adamson BBQ

Adamson BBQ

So what are your thoughts here?
    Is the Guv over-stepping?
    If anything its some serious advertising for him.
    But is it worth it?

Authorities on scene formally ordered Adamson at the QEW and Royal York to close late Tuesday afternoon after Skelly had served up ribs and brisket for five whole hours. On Wednesday, they laid nine charges against the proprietor under Ontario's Health Protection and Promotion Act after he opened his doors again — and sold out of product within an hour.

He was taken away in handcuffs on Thursday after what was the most hectic day at Adamson thus far, with police changing the locks on the establishment early that morning in an attempt to prevent it from welcoming crowds once more.

In light of the drama, a fundraiser was launched to finance Skelly's legal battle and, in the words of organizer Barry McNamar, "help Adam fight for our freedoms... amidst the slough of politicians, media and citizen fear mongers supporting irrational COVID 'public health orders' that shut down small businesses while allowing corporate box stores to remain open."

In less than 24 hours, the campaign had raised more than $28,000. In less than 48 hours, it's now hit more than $131,000 from over 2,600 donators, and growing rapidly.

The hashtag #IStandWithAdam and others also arose and began trending on Twitter as a result, with prominent Canadian anti-masker Chris Sky among Skelly's avid supporters.

Skelly initially had the sympathy of Ontario Premier Doug Ford, who said he "couldn't get angry" at the 33-year-old given how badly small business owners are struggling right now.

But after the barbecue baron flouted provincial restrictions for multiple days in a row, Ford changed his tune to be more in line with Toronto Major John Tory, condemning the restaurateur's actions irresponsible, ridiculous, and unacceptable in his daily presser on Wednesday.

The saga has been extremely divisive, to say the least, during a time when tensions are already running extremely high as citizens and businesses face at least 24 more days of severe lockdown that forbids the regular operation of countless businesses and orders residents to only leave their homes for essential reasons.

Damm, another BBQ place I never went to.
    Huge waste of police resources, with all the other major crimes going on.
    Didn't see any good close-up video of police, but I thought I saw some had sauce on there faces and sticky fingers when they were arresting the guy.
    Large police presence??

This is nothing but a scam to get a Gofundme page going by one of his buddies/family because he was losing too much money. But in the mean time he's putting his employees and customers at risk, restaurants are one of the places this virus exist because you need to take your mask off to eat and then your server touches all your utensils.

He's an idiot for only thinking about himself and nobody else, he can play the "I need to survive" card all he wants but he broke the law and is putting people in danger of catching this virus. How many other restaurants within a kilometer of him also opened their dining area, I bet zero.

He could of still been opened today for take-out and making money for his family if he didn't pull this selfish stunt but instead now he's closed for business and has fines and lawyer fees to pay for, great business move.
    Barone Performance
    Canada's Online Aftermarket Parts Store

This written by a restaurant owner and shared on Facebook. about sums up my thoughts

“As I walk into the grocery store with 30 other people at the same time, I think about my restaurant which allows parties of 6 total, and meticulously spaces out reservations by 10 minutes ensuring guests that aren’t from the same party do not arrive at the same time.

As I take a cart, that has had just the handle sanitized, I think about my restaurant which invested thousands of dollars (so far) on ink and paper to print disposable menus to ensure no two guests touch the same menu.

As I walk over to the produce aisle with 15-20 other people around me, I’m reminded of the strict “no mingling / no walking around the restaurant other than to use the washroom or enter/exit” policy we have in place and the 6ft distance between tables which has cut our capacity in half.

As I watch the woman next to me pick up apples with her hand, check them over closely and then put them back on the open pile and repeats this until she finds the perfect apples — the same thing that all other people that day who want an apple will then do and then put those apples into their mouths, I think about the two step sanitation process in place at my restaurant for all cutlery and dishes and glassware in between every single guest, and the sanitation of every surface guests touch (tables, chairs, salt and pepper shakers, etc).

As I watch the man in the next aisle over ignore or not notice the directional arrows on the ground, I think about my restaurant and the constant redirecting our staff does of guests - by locking certain doors, blocking areas off and the work my team does to simply not allow guests to walk where they are not supposed to.

As I walk down the cereal aisle, I see a person with their mask off so they can talk on the phone, and I’m reminded of my restaurant where our masking policy has lost us so much business as we will not allow guests who do not cover their nose mouth and chin while not sitting at their designated seat as per the by-law in place for our region.

As I check out at the cashier, I use my debit card to pay and see the plastic film covering the terminal. It was not sanitized after the person before me used it. I am reminded of the sanitizer used on the debit terminals in between each guest every time at my restaurant.

As I stand at a crowded exit trying to leave, I’m reminded of the detailed contact tracing in place at my restaurant that records the name, phone number, table number, arrival and exit time, as well as the server and section the guest sat in that is in place at my restaurant— not one of those pieces of information was taken from any customer here.

As I get into my car and watch all these people leave the store, I wonder which person will visit my establishment after contracting covid at this grocery store, and I wonder why on earth my restaurant will be blamed as the source.

Restaurants are being targeted as the “source” of Covid infections because we are one of the ONLY industries required to provide contact tracing. Someone with Covid could have gone to Costco, Home Depot, Walmart, the Mall food court, Any grocery store etc yet it’s the restaurant that took their detailed information that will be forced to close and deemed responsible for the infection.

You want to blame restaurants for the spread after thousands of dollars investing in equipment, training and stricter policies than ANYWHERE ELSE?! “

Time to stop ignoring the science and get back to as normal a life

Protect the Vulnerable.

Stop the fear mongering

Quote Originally Posted by Minaccia View Post
    This is nothing but a scam to get a Gofundme page going by one of his buddies/family because he was losing too much money. But in the mean time he's putting his employees and customers at risk, restaurants are one of the places this virus exist because you need to take your mask off to eat and then your server touches all your utensils.

He's an idiot for only thinking about himself and nobody else, he can play the "I need to survive" card all he wants but he broke the law and is putting people in danger of catching this virus. How many other restaurants within a kilometer of him also opened their dining area, I bet zero.

He could of still been opened today for take-out and making money for his family if he didn't pull this selfish stunt but instead now he's closed for business and has fines and lawyer fees to pay for, great business move.
    Let’s revisit when the government mandates policy that shuts the doors on your business.

Sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe in.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    This written by a restaurant owner and shared on Facebook. about sums up my thoughts

“As I walk into the grocery store with 30 other people at the same time, I think about my restaurant which allows parties of 6 total, and meticulously spaces out reservations by 10 minutes ensuring guests that aren’t from the same party do not arrive at the same time.

As I take a cart, that has had just the handle sanitized, I think about my restaurant which invested thousands of dollars (so far) on ink and paper to print disposable menus to ensure no two guests touch the same menu.

As I walk over to the produce aisle with 15-20 other people around me, I’m reminded of the strict “no mingling / no walking around the restaurant other than to use the washroom or enter/exit” policy we have in place and the 6ft distance between tables which has cut our capacity in half.

As I watch the woman next to me pick up apples with her hand, check them over closely and then put them back on the open pile and repeats this until she finds the perfect apples — the same thing that all other people that day who want an apple will then do and then put those apples into their mouths, I think about the two step sanitation process in place at my restaurant for all cutlery and dishes and glassware in between every single guest, and the sanitation of every surface guests touch (tables, chairs, salt and pepper shakers, etc).

As I watch the man in the next aisle over ignore or not notice the directional arrows on the ground, I think about my restaurant and the constant redirecting our staff does of guests - by locking certain doors, blocking areas off and the work my team does to simply not allow guests to walk where they are not supposed to.

As I walk down the cereal aisle, I see a person with their mask off so they can talk on the phone, and I’m reminded of my restaurant where our masking policy has lost us so much business as we will not allow guests who do not cover their nose mouth and chin while not sitting at their designated seat as per the by-law in place for our region.

As I check out at the cashier, I use my debit card to pay and see the plastic film covering the terminal. It was not sanitized after the person before me used it. I am reminded of the sanitizer used on the debit terminals in between each guest every time at my restaurant.

As I stand at a crowded exit trying to leave, I’m reminded of the detailed contact tracing in place at my restaurant that records the name, phone number, table number, arrival and exit time, as well as the server and section the guest sat in that is in place at my restaurant— not one of those pieces of information was taken from any customer here.

As I get into my car and watch all these people leave the store, I wonder which person will visit my establishment after contracting covid at this grocery store, and I wonder why on earth my restaurant will be blamed as the source.

Restaurants are being targeted as the “source” of Covid infections because we are one of the ONLY industries required to provide contact tracing. Someone with Covid could have gone to Costco, Home Depot, Walmart, the Mall food court, Any grocery store etc yet it’s the restaurant that took their detailed information that will be forced to close and deemed responsible for the infection.

You want to blame restaurants for the spread after thousands of dollars investing in equipment, training and stricter policies than ANYWHERE ELSE?! “

Time to stop ignoring the science and get back to as normal a life

Protect the Vulnerable.

Stop the fear mongering
    Well said and all true. Having eaten in restaurants in the past months and as recent as 3 weeks ago I can assure you that you are a lot less likely to get sick there than just about anywhere else.

If that happened to my business I would follow the rules. He could have still sold his BBQ'ed ribs via take-out but once he opened the dining area he basically told the government, front line workers and those who have died from this virus "screw you".

We are all fighting a virus that kills not a new tax the government has implemented on us so maybe we should follow the rules a bit better, look what happened in the U.S. when they didn't care about Covid and mask wearing. I don't like being told what to do by my government either but this is a deadly virus that is all over the world and not just in Canada or the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    Let’s revisit when the government mandates policy that shuts the doors on your business.

Sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe in.
    Barone Performance
    Canada's Online Aftermarket Parts Store

I think the government(s) have put small business in an almost impossible situation. Where this guy Adam Skelly is (or was) doing it for publicity or conspiracy reasons or anything else, I cannot but forgive him.
    I am very very fortunate in that my business is not in danger of shutting down, and that I don't have to worry about it till at least March. I'm seasonal, and my deck building season is almost over. Now my snow plowing season starts and there isn't anybody who can argue that it's not essential.
    However.
    I know of people who are not so fortunate. Their businesses were shut right down in March. Closed up. Period. Later on they were allowed to open, but with all sorts of restrictions, such as detailed above. So many people who might not have been living paycheck to paycheck, but who have limited resources. After 3 months without income, they might have depleted their savings. Then there were all the employees. Paychecks cut off. Benefits cut off. Little or no warning. Yes, CERB helped, a bit. But when rent on a decent apartment is closed to $2000/month, $500 a week doesn't cover all your other expenses.
    I know in my case, we do not just have rent to pay. Car and truck payments. Business insurance. House insurance. Utilities. Life insurance. Vehicle insurance. medical expenses. FOOD.
    I know what it costs me to live on a monthly basis and I can't imagine what I'd do if I had no money coming in. How do you decide where to spend whatever you might have. Food or rent? Cars or walking.
    For the government to shut these people down, AGAIN, is unconscionable. I cannot agree that the cure is worth it. By the time this pandemic runs its course, there will be thousands of jobs that will never come back. Whole industries that may fade away. Our society will have paid a huge price in terms of suicides, homelessness, depression, and mental illness.

in the 70's (Yes, I'm old enough to remember) a man by the name of Paul Magder, a furrier, fought a decade long war in Toronto for the right to stay open on Sunday. He was fined, and imprisoned, and ridiculed by the press, and everyone was shocked and disgusted by the notion that a business should be open on Sunday. God Forbid!
    Now, however, 3 decades later, it's completely taken for granted. Paul Magder was a martyr of sorts, but he eventually won, for everyone's benefit.
    For whatever reasons, Mr Skelly is doing what he thinks is the right thing, and I really believe that this current shut down is ill timed (just before Christmas), and ill advised.
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert

Lockdowns didn’t work anywhere they were implemented.

According to the worldometer
    99.4% of current active cases are mild.

No excuse for shutting down peoples lively hood.

Protect the vulnerable.

Stop the fear mongering.

Completely agree with the FB post.. this is getting a little out of hand. It’s funny to me that a mask fixes everything. Was at Walmart the other day.. a complete shit show at the checkout.

I’m not saying the virus isn’t real... it’s just extremely exaggerated in all forms, IMO anyways.

Construction sites in the GTA never shutdown. Possibly the dirtiest washrooms/trailers in the city. Way too much tax money lost if construction shuts down.
    '88 LX