Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  186
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Adamson BBQ

Club Supporter
    I think he's stupid and careless (health-wise) for continuing with the "protest/resistance" and should be held accountable for his actions. I get the first day protest/resistance - he would have gotten some leeway but pushing it past that another 2 days afterwards and then breaking through a wall, etc he's asked for what he got. I spoke with one of my employees yesterday who has purchased takeout at the Leaside and Etobicoke locations and said they were not enforcing mask usage inside, etc., and said he would never eat in the restaurant right now (only take-out) because of their practices. From the protesters at the Etobicoke location, they seem to have attracted all the sympathetic anti-masker/anti-distancing conspiracists to the cause.

He could have just opened for take-out after the Day 1 protest/resistance since his business model (casual food/BBQ) is well suited for that versus a Moxie's or Keg which is more suitable for dine-in business.

That said, I think this Conservative government could have been more surgical with the restrictions and allowed businesses to open where they have invested in and taken the precautions in accordance with the health guidelines versus closing all down, and picking winners and losers without additional qualifications - some business owners follow the guidelines and some don't.

I think this guy appears to fall into the latter. I purchased take-out or done beer pick-ups at Toronto locations with patios and every time they had picnic sized tables packed with 6 unmasked people who clearly did not live at the same household - so there are a lot of people who are not following guidelines to curb transmission and the businesses that allow this.

If anything, that FB post is the reason governments take harsh one-size fit all measures because they have to make it fit the lowest common denominators like the person in the cereal aisle talking on the phone (probably also same person protesting without mask and hugging other protesters outside Adamsons BBQ).

The GoFundMe page has racked up decent dollars - too bad he didn't protest in a way that the money donated could have actually been used to help people in need versus someone knowingly racking up 6-figure fines/legal fees.

All I will say is anyone saying he got what he deserved better also be calling for the the organizers of the BLM protests back when everything was shut down, to also be fined.

The biggest problem for me isn’t that he got shut down and fined. But more the un even way they are enforcing things.

Taking someone’s lively hood has to be justified. IMO this no longer meets those requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Minaccia View Post
    This is nothing but a scam to get a Gofundme page going by one of his buddies/family because he was losing too much money. But in the mean time he's putting his employees and customers at risk, restaurants are one of the places this virus exist because you need to take your mask off to eat and then your server touches all your utensils.

He's an idiot for only thinking about himself and nobody else, he can play the "I need to survive" card all he wants but he broke the law and is putting people in danger of catching this virus. How many other restaurants within a kilometer of him also opened their dining area, I bet zero.

He could of still been opened today for take-out and making money for his family if he didn't pull this selfish stunt but instead now he's closed for business and has fines and lawyer fees to pay for, great business move.
    Couldn't agree more.

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'

^ Agreed.

Saw this on Facebook and it's 100% true.

I honestly haven’t had that much of an opinion since this whole Covid thing started, *nobody is allowed to have an opinion now a days anyways* but I honestly can’t comprehend how we are living right now. After today and yesterday. Here’s a rant.
    I go to the mall yesterday. Rideau to be exact. Obviously the parking lot is pretty full. That didn’t scare me. Neither did the hundreds of people walking down the hallways, or the tens of twenty’s of people standing shoulder to shoulder in lines for each store *yeah sorry can you not see that your rubbing up against my purse? Can you move back? Thanks.* . What bothered me was walking into the food court. You’d think that their eating areas * like the restaurant I work in* would have basic restrictions. Nope. None. About a hundred or more people walking around, sitting, eating, talking, all without a mask on. Where are their fines? Where are the restrictions? Why is this okay? Why is nobody doing anything?
    Today, I go to work. I wasn’t allowed to serve a 5 person family that all live in THE SAME HOUSE at the same table because of these *restrictions*. They shit and sleep in the same house but they aren’t allowed to sit and eat dinner together in a restaurant because noooo, can’t have more then 4 people at a table.
    Why the fuck are these large establishments not being penalized when others are. Why are golf courses and venues closed but HIGH TRAFFIC SHOPPING AREAS aren’t. It’s just not fair. I can go to the mall and talk to 2000 UNSUPERVISED strangers but I can’t have a private gathering of more than Ten people in a SUPERVISED establishment. That makes SO MUCH FUCKING SENSE.
    I can go to Walmart, IKEA, or Costco, and be shoulder to shoulder in line with hundreds of people, but I can’t invite my closest friends and family to be a part of my wedding.
    Maybe I should just get married Infront of the fuckkng apple store in rideau. They probably wouldn’t even notice my 100 guests .
    Or maybe I can get married in ikea. Let’s set up the entire living room section and I’m sure we will be fine right! Nobody will notice!
    Something is seriously wrong with our system and I am getting SO FUCKING SICK OF IT.
    Fuck.
    This.
    Shit.

Off my meds again
    Quote Originally Posted by bluetoy View Post
    This whole Covid thing has shown people's true colors. People I used to respect have shown that they're spineless, and afraid to speak their minds. Or they've readily given up their rights and have gone along with the herd mentality without any sort of critical thought.

Quote Originally Posted by bluetoy View Post
    Last week when Ford announced that Toronto was going back into lock down. I saw 3 separate media articles all mainstream outlets

Say flat out the big box could stay open and small business had to close.

I immediately called Fords office. They told me it was not true everyone was under the same guidelines.

That is not how they are being enforced.

They are not hiding what they are doing. They are openly saying what’s going on.
    But there are always those willing to justify the oppression of people who aren’t them.

Tunes will change if it keeps going this way. Unfortunately some people won’t speak up until it’s too late
    Last edited by 5.4MarkVIII; 11-28-2020 at 09:52 AM.

Lately I've been hearing a lot of people use the word "sheep", what I want to know is are these people the ones going out shopping and not wearing a mask. Are these same people the ones starting fights with the people wearing masks. If you're calling people sheep but you're also wearing a mask in public or at work then what does it make you.

I can only speak for myself when I say I wear a mask because I don't want to spread this virus if I have it and I don't want to catch it from you if you have it and not because I am a sheep. Are we all sheep's because we follow the posted speed limit on the roads?

All I see are scared people, imo.
    Barone Performance
    Canada's Online Aftermarket Parts Store

Quote Originally Posted by hsousa88 View Post
    Construction sites in the GTA never shutdown.
    You mean in the recent lockdown? Or “ever”?
    Back in March all my sites shut down. Work dried up, and I got laid off.
    -Don____________

Club Supporter
    Not sure if those Facebook posts are true (they actually read like a pro writer writing like a non-pro to stir up anti-maskers/conspiracists) but this is (my guy at the office wanted to go to GLB yesterday for curbside but didn't because of this street closure):

https://globalnews.ca/news/7488899/c...lakes-brewery/

‘This is not helping’: Toronto brewery owner frustrated with BBQ restaurant protests

The owner of a Toronto brewery steps away from a barbecue restaurant playing host to anti-lockdown protests over the past few days is voicing his frustration, saying it has negatively impacted his small business.

“It just seems like a complete, diabolical, not-fun event here. You know, a business owner that was permitted to open created all of this… I don’t want to say excitement because it’s not exciting,” Peter Bulut, president and owner of Great Lakes Brewery on a small street near Royal York Road and the Gardiner Expressway, told Global News Friday afternoon.

“It’s disrupted my business and it looks like it’s cost the taxpayers a fortune just with the amount of service and support that’s needed to keep everybody safe.

“We were a little bit nervous too, and I told the staff if you feel unsafe we’ll lock the door up. We don’t need that type of excitement.”

Bulut, who said his business and industry have been hit particularly hard by the coronavirus pandemic, was straight-forward when asked if the protests have helped.

“Not at all. I think it’s completely the opposite. Like I said, it’s a publicity stunt and to get the activists all riled up and anti-maskers and all the things that are — this is not helping small business whatsoever,” he said.

“With the bars and restaurants closed in the city for the sit-down enjoyment, that segment of our business has collapsed completely. So we really rely on the curbside pickup and home delivery and then you can pass through the story in a very safe way.

“That’s what we rely on to keep all 60 people employed here, and with this disruption it’s hard.”

Toronto police closed part of Queen Elizabeth Boulevard due to an influx of vehicles and protesters over the course of the week.

He said customers are still permitted to come to the business if they tell officers, whom he praised for their efforts, they’re there specifically for Great Lakes Brewery.

“But I know myself, if I saw a barricade, I would just turn around. I’m not going to go find out what’s going on,” he said, noting officers have been tracking people entering to ensure they are indeed going to the brewery.

Thursday was supposed to be a release day of new brews, but Bulut said the estimated number of people expected to attend to get beer was potentially down by 70 per cent.

“It’s the ones that got intimidated by the line or, you know, nervous about coming down,” he said.

Adam Skelly, the owner of Adamson Barbecue, is facing several criminal charges after repeatedly breaking health regulations imposed by Toronto and Ontario.

Police said on Thursday they had changed the locks of the restaurant in the morning, after Toronto’s medical officer of health said the establishment must be closed under several health and safety regulations.

As an act of good faith, police said they allowed Skelly into a back area of the restaurant this afternoon but they say he broke through an interior wall to access the dining area and then damaged the city-installed locks. He was later arrested and charged. A protester, Michael Belito Arana, was also charged after Skelly was taken into custody.

Skelly and Arana appeared in a Toronto court on Friday. Skelly was released from 23 Division on $50,000 bail Friday evening and was required to attend court on Jan. 4. He told reporters one of his bail conditions is to not use his social media accounts while questioning being in custody for 30 hours. Arana was released on $500 bail and required to attend court on Jan. 11.

Cal Rosemond, an attorney for Skelly, said Skelly will be “represented in a fulsome way” and that he looks forward “to engaging with these allegations.”

Toronto and neighbouring Peel Region are in lockdown in an attempt to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus in the two hot spots. A ban on indoor dining at restaurants is one of the rules under Ontario’s COVID-19 lockdown regulations.

Skelly posted on Instagram that he intended to reopen the restaurant Monday morning in direct opposition to the province’s public health restrictions. He again reopened on Tuesday and Wednesday, leading the city’s medical officer of health to take possession of the property.

Bulut, who noted he hasn’t met Skelly, praised the barbecue restaurant itself and said not all of the activists “came down to cause trouble or harm.” But he said he is struggling to understand the nature of these particular protests.

“He has takeout food. He’s got great food. You could go there and shop. So I don’t understand if he’s taking a stance for the guys on Queensway? There’s been no reference to specific other businesses like a hair salon, so what’s the purpose other than getting the activists all riled up? I don’t understand,” he said.

“I think if he was a business that could not open, it would make much more sense if you want to take a stand like, ‘No, I think I should open. Here are my safety protocols’ and stuff.”