Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  33
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primer Color?

OE Ford primer is a grey base. The yellowish tint you may see is previous undercoating/oil spray. Redfire isn't actually a tricoat like the old Laser Red was, it's a base clear process. So really to get it to match you'll just end up spraying more colour coats vs needing a special tinted base.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    The yellowish tint you may see is previous undercoating/oil spray.
    Don't think so. This picture is from the inside of the trunk...no undercoating or oil spray ever got there. I see the same tan color in other areas of the trunk.

Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

I think that will be the dip. under parts don't get the same primer as the outer panels do.

so not tinted primer as i was thinking. just find a paint thats close and use that to get the look. lots of colors in the model world and mixable to get exact tints if you have some basic skill with an airbrush.

That makes sense. I'll try the grey primer and see the result.
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!

The more I think about this the more I realize how much I've forgotten! Oh well...a few videos of the Ford paint process. Tan dip, grey primer and color.

Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!

Thats Bazar eh! I did some paint work many years ago on a 2010 f150 - it was Ford's version of Candy Red - It had white paint under the red - I didn't lay down the white and there was a slight difference but barely noticeable especially with the design and all the body directional changes in that particular model of f150 - I'm not sure if that is the reason because it is pretty tough to get a bang on match - I'm not sure if they did this with all colour back then - but suspect they may do it under the more vibrant colours and may more so now with water borne and the thin colour coat that's applied - I can't comment on your model or colour tho - post up some pics when it's done...
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Ideal Supply stores a few
    Years ago use to make up auto paint cans to whatever colour you wanted , not sure if they still do that.

Little 2V 700+ RWHP, Pump Gas
    10.46 sec @ 136 mph

FFFE659C-F892-4715-8B28-0A6D8D849A0B.jpg

DEC5340D-36FA-4D67-A0D5-869E8F1197FE.jpeg

I’m working on a repaint know - on the second pic the colour white on the left is OEM - notice the difference to the right repaint - the white on the left looks more gray and the primer under this white is fairly dark - also keep in mind the repaint is likely thick polyurethane and will never match the factory assuming the correct code was ordered
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

I sent a message to Ford Canada...

"Hello, My Mustang is painted Redfire Pearl (G2) and I am wondering what color is the primer that was used back in 2004. I see a tan color under the paint in the trunk area but is that the initial dip that the car takes in the painting process? Thank you for your help."

LOL...this is the response I got. (Note the representative's name)

"Thank you for contacting the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Centre, my name is Karen. We received your email on January 6th regarding your paint color. I am happy to look into this for you.

It is a pleasure to assist you as a member of our Ford family. We value your business with Ford of Canada.

According to our resources, your vehicle has the following paint information available. The paint color is Redfire. Paint code for that paint is identified as G2.

If your need further information regarding that paint, we advise that you speak directly with the Parts department at your local Ford dealership.

We hope that this information proves to be useful. I appreciate you for allowing me the opportunity to review this matter on your behalf."

I emailed back but I don't anticipate a response.
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!

That was good of Ford to simply repeat the exact information you already provided in your original email...my god sometimes I wonder how useless people like this keep jobs when many talented people get shoved out the door.

Old Fart, I think you may be worrying about this too much. When I had a 1:18 scale replica painted to match my car I believe they literally scuffed the original dark blue paint and shot it with magnetic and it is super close.

Here’s the catch, even if you get a dead match the metallic will never lay down in the same way as your car due to the smaller surface area. So although the car is at a 1:18 scale the metallic in the paint remains 1:1 so you can even end up with a mild metal flake effect. Just prime white or if possible red primer (as candy paint tends to be translucent so you will get better coverage with a tinted primer) and spray out your paint based on your colour code. Reassemble the car and enjoy your work.
    FABMAN