Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  79
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expired Plates

When you go to do it finally, you still have to pay for the time it wasn't renewed.

I know the website says it's all good to be running around with an expired sticker right now, but I went and got the one I needed because I know people that still got tickets for not having it AFTER April of this year, so the MTO can say all they want, but you can still go to the office and renew and the coppers will do what they want anyway. I'd rather not give them a reason to write a ticket.
    '21 F150 Screw 4x4 FX4 3.5 Powerboost (Iconic Silver)
    '21 Explorer ST (Atlas Blue)
    '19 Mustang Bullitt (Dark Hyland Green) Vortech Supercharged
    '11 Mustang GT 5.0L (Race Red) 8.92 @ 154 mph

Mine expired in May and I haven't renewed yet.
    I'm in no hurry to part with $120.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    When you go to do it finally, you still have to pay for the time it wasn't renewed.

I know the website says it's all good to be running around with an expired sticker right now, but I went and got the one I needed because I know people that still got tickets for not having it AFTER April of this year, so the MTO can say all they want, but you can still go to the office and renew and the coppers will do what they want anyway. I'd rather not give them a reason to write a ticket.
    Did their sticker expire after the government shutdowns? If so, they extensions clearly apply and they shouldn't be ticketed. If their sticker expired before the shutdowns then they would still be ticketed since they would have received their renewal notice 2 months earlier. These stopped mailing back in the late winter/early spring. I'd be surprised if they were ticketing for expiries after they stopped mailing renewal notices since Ontario Courts are closed since last April for anything but serious criminal cases. These incorrect tickets, if issued, would just create even more backlog for when the courts eventually re-open....probably in the spring and they start with stuff from 2019.

Any license sticker that expired before the March lock down must be renewed. If it expired after the shutdown in March then you do not have to renew. If you travel outside the province you may encounter problems though.

This thread got me thinking...lol Went outside and checked my plate. Sure enough, I didn't renew my sticker in November. Figured I'd get online and order up the stickers for my F150 and Cobra. On the way back from coffee, I drove by the Service Ontario outlet and low and behold, it was open. Dropped in and picked up my stickers.

Didn't receive my renewal notice either. Guess I'll go online now and at least get my two DD's done and wait to get the Shelby's done @ Service Ontario when it comes out of storage in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    Did their sticker expire after the government shutdowns? If so, they extensions clearly apply and they shouldn't be ticketed. If their sticker expired before the shutdowns then they would still be ticketed since they would have received their renewal notice 2 months earlier. These stopped mailing back in the late winter/early spring. I'd be surprised if they were ticketing for expiries after they stopped mailing renewal notices since Ontario Courts are closed since last April for anything but serious criminal cases. These incorrect tickets, if issued, would just create even more backlog for when the courts eventually re-open....probably in the spring and they start with stuff from 2019.
    They expired in Sept. You can be the guy to sit there at the side of the road and tell the officer he can't ticket you because the courts are closed and they shouldn't be ticketing anyone for expired plates. Let him know of your degree's while you do that, it usually works out even better.

Since the office is open, I waited the 1.5 hours in the cold and just renewed since you eventually have to anyway and my buddy is driving the truck where the sticker expired and I don't want him hassled driving his little kid around in it.

I know what things are "supposed" to be, but life doesn't always work that way out in the real world. To fight the ticket costs two days of work. Once to file to fight it and one to show up and the cop doesn't. It still "costs" me in the end. Been there a few times already. Your call.....I made mine.
    '21 F150 Screw 4x4 FX4 3.5 Powerboost (Iconic Silver)
    '21 Explorer ST (Atlas Blue)
    '19 Mustang Bullitt (Dark Hyland Green) Vortech Supercharged
    '11 Mustang GT 5.0L (Race Red) 8.92 @ 154 mph

When u do it on line they give u a temp to print out , so if u get pulled over u are valid !
    ~REMEMBER, " life in prison" doesn't mean SHIT to a senior citizen ~ http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/for...4&type=profile

Club Supporter
    They expired in Sept. You can be the guy to sit there at the side of the road and tell the officer he can't ticket you because the courts are closed and they shouldn't be ticketing anyone for expired plates. Let him know of your degree's while you do that, it usually works out even better.

Since the office is open, I waited the 1.5 hours in the cold and just renewed since you eventually have to anyway and my buddy is driving the truck where the sticker expired and I don't want him hassled driving his little kid around in it.

I know what things are "supposed" to be, but life doesn't always work that way out in the real world. To fight the ticket costs two days of work. Once to file to fight it and one to show up and the cop doesn't. It still "costs" me in the end. Been there a few times already. Your call.....I made mine.
    Thanks - I'll roll the dice that there are not many rogue cops not following their own employer's rules for publicly announced sticker extensions, and wait until they announce the extensions are ending, and pay at that time. Maybe I can say I was in St. Barts.
    Last edited by 92redragtop; 01-06-2021 at 01:20 PM.

There's a 90's era foxbody 4 banger around the corner that is still being used as a DD and the latest sticker is from September 2015.