Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Mt82

Mt82

Mt82 transmissions can the be built to be reliable and handle power? Unknown they have their fair share of issues.

I heard just about a week ago, of a guy that built his MT82 with upgraded cryo gears and upgraded syncros from Lashbrook. I have no idea what that will ultimately do for it, and if that is really the weak point, but my move to make would be either get a trans from a GT350 OR the latest 2021 Mach 1 trans (which prolly not available yet aftermarket).

6R80/10R80 swap but not sure how many have been done and if there is a harness that supports it.

Otherwise if you're hardcore, it's a TH400 or Glide.
    '21 F150 Screw 4x4 FX4 3.5 Powerboost (Iconic Silver)
    '21 Explorer ST (Atlas Blue)
    '19 Mustang Bullitt (Dark Hyland Green) Vortech Supercharged
    '11 Mustang GT 5.0L (Race Red) 8.92 @ 154 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    I heard just about a week ago, of a guy that built his MT82 with upgraded cryo gears and upgraded syncros from Lashbrook. I have no idea what that will ultimately do for it, and if that is really the weak point, but my move to make would be either get a trans from a GT350 OR the latest 2021 Mach 1 trans (which prolly not available yet aftermarket).

6R80/10R80 swap but not sure how many have been done and if there is a harness that supports it.

Otherwise if you're hardcore, it's a TH400 or Glide.
    Apparently the GT350 trans is rated for lower power than the MT82, and was only selected for feel.
    MT82s have been junk for the most part, but many are surviving behind a lot of power with just a shifter, so it seems they’re are some good ones out there. I’m sure they can be built strong, just depends what your plans are.

I have no problems with my MT82.
    2014 V6 MT Club of America
    IG: xeninworx

I love all when people comment that they are junk while never having owned one. Lol

MT82 trans have had their issues, especially the early ones from 11-12. However, the internet bags on them much harder than they deserve. Many have failed simply because a lot of people just abuse the living hell out of them and there is a much greater margin of error in damaging a manual over an auto. Check YouTube for endless examples of Mustangs getting abused especially in the US.

The MT82 has gone through several revisions which I outlined in some previous posts. Just do a quick search and you’ll find the details.

The ones in the 15-17 models and 19-20 models are decent units especially once you fix the biggest flaw...the divorced shifter design. If you add a trans mounted shifter like MGW or Barton then the MT82 behaves much better. Some have added the clutch spring from Steeda but I didn’t see the need to do it in my car.

My.02 from an actual MT82 owner who has been happy for the most part.
    FABMAN