Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some opinions on Flowmaster mufflers

Need some opinions on Flowmaster mufflers

Hey guys, I am looking at replacing the magnaflow mufflers on my car (1990 Mustang 5.0 convertible with aod) with flowmasters. Everything else on my car is completely stock and it will remain that way. I love the sound of the Flowmaster original 40 series, but I read that the drone is awful. I'm looking at either the Flowmaster Delta Flow 40 series (which sounds close to the original 40 series, but without the excessive drone from what I read) or the Flowmaster Super 44 (which has a slightly different tone then the 40 series). I wanted to know if anyone is running these mufflers and if you can share your experiences.

Thanks,

Benny

I ran 44's on my car for a number of years, only removing them because I had them welded to factory piping and wanted to upgrade to a full 2.5" CB. I have 40 series now and honestly I preferred the 44s. They had a little more bark to them, little higher pitch and less drone.

Any chambered muffler will have some degree of drone it seems, my 44's would drone on the highway if I was going above 115 kmh (which I never ever do of course) under that they would still resonate but not to a level that would make me care, I spent 10 hours in the car before and with the radio on, AC going was unbothered. The 40's seem to drone more at anything above 110kmh, but honestly I don't really care "that" much its very tolerable. X pipe over H seems to help with drone as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Totally different application but have Flowmaster system on my Cobra. Totally livable even if it was a daily driver. Previous Magnaflow system that so many claim has no drone, drove me insane at cruise rpm.

I was also thinking about changing from the magnaflow oval style muffler as just too quiet. Pypes makes alot of oval style muffler from quiet to loud that look like magnaflow straight thru oval muffler but no packing...any fo me I'm big into plug and play and pypes make different mufflers with same dimensions as my magnaflow muffler. Plug and play...

Little 2V 700+ RWHP, Pump Gas
    10.46 sec @ 136 mph

When you decide which system to go with let me know and I'll see what I can do for you.
    Barone Performance
    Canada's Online Aftermarket Parts Store

I just swapped out a pair of flows American thunder 2 chamber mufflers that I have had for a long time. The drone was getting to me after 30 years, swapped them out with a set of Dynomax Ultra-Flo Welded Muffler and couldn’t be happier. Straight through design and no baffles to interrupt exhaust flow.

Never did like the sound of Flowmasters on a Fox 5.0. My favourite, which I had installed on my 87 back in the day, was the Walker Dynomax Super Turbo. The Ultraflo they have now are of better quality and superior design.
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    Never did like the sound of Flowmasters on a Fox 5.0. My favourite, which I had installed on my 87 back in the day, was the Walker Dynomax Super Turbo. The Ultraflo they have now are of better quality and superior design.
    I had the stainless ultraflows on one of my saleens. They are great!!! I replaced my full bassani stainless system with those. The bassani’s sounded amazing but I could barely drive the car for more than 30min
    Saleen 89-373....long gone....!!

Another vote for Dynomax Ultra Flo welded stainless mufflers as I recently installed them on my 88GT.
    Supporting mods make a huge difference how the car sounds..so with your car being stock these def won't be loud or have drone.

As far as if YOU will like the sound that will only be determined after install and it's driven.

Being OP's car is all original with no plans of future mods, the Ultra Flo's will not be the sound he's going after. Benny as per our previous discussion, just go for the Super 44's if you want "that sound" at idle and when you hammer the go pedal. When the wife takes the car for a cruise she will appreciate the sound, the drone isn't bad at all.