Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plastic oil drain plug in Ford engines.

Plastic oil drain plug in Ford engines.

Unless you've had the experience of trying to drain the pan without being splashed n burnt by hot oil, you really can't grasp how badly Ford completely and utterly failed at this design. If you change your own oil or take it in to be done, do everyone involved a solid and opt for one like this slick lil unit from UPR. On the surface it looks expensive but since the plastic plug should be tossed after each change, it won't take long for it to save you time and aggravation.

Immediate pm saying, hey man I take mine to the oil change place, what do I care if it's a pain in the ass for those guys.
    Since anyone working on them know if the engines even warm (let alone smoking hot cause you just drove in) you can bet at least some guys say fawk it and never drain / change the oil at all. Saving his or her hands might be saving your own engine in the long run.

Just my humble opinion.

Cool. How thick is the oil pan? Won't this plug leave old oil in the pan?

Edit...just looked up the pan and the drain is horizontal. Old guy thinking all oil drains are vertical, lol.
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

Yes it will leave a hair behind but just like original, after draining to that point easily removed to get the last bit.

Ronin make a similar version(thanks for the link Stephen).

More plastic parts yet the cars go up in price. Even the plastic drain plug has to be replaced over time as it wears out. On my Civic that I had for 13 years, I’ve never replaced the drain plug, just used new crush washers which cost pennies or free depending which guy I dealt with at the Honda dealership.
    2014 V6 MT Club of America
    IG: xeninworx

Must be getting old, I remember when magnetic drain plugs were a MOD ! LOL
    ~REMEMBER, " life in prison" doesn't mean SHIT to a senior citizen ~ http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/for...4&type=profile

Changed the oil a couple of times on my 2018 F150. Seriously... why. The oil would come out like a 2" fire hose. Stupid Idea, bad design. I see why they had to go to a plastic plug. They had a plastic oil pan. They could have done a way better job. Here's an example of the bean counters winning over common sense. Having said that, They don't want you to change your own oil, they want you to bring it to them.

^ Exactly that.