Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1,335
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Zippy's 98

The dech is in the shop getting a few upgrades......... stay tuned

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'

The DECH was in the shop on the weekend getting a very important upgrade!!!

We finally got the Pan hard bar installed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

I am super excited to see how it works on the street and much more importantly the track.
    I am hoping it gives me the rear stability that I am after to #sendit a bit harder into some of the high speed switch backs.

Forgot to take pics as always...

20230521_151133.jpg
    20230521_151017.jpg20230521_151017.jpg

A bit behind in Dechy updates.

Acouple of days before track day we got it in and serviced the front brakes. As posted before, burned the dust boots out of the calipers.
    Ended up buying some ACdelco kits to rebuild them.... however the seals that came with the new dust boots... did not fit the pistons... Calipers were jammed.... Had to completely disassemble and install the old non ripped seals.

#MadeinChinaParts

I didn't get pics, but I installed a set of new track pads and rotors onto it. Got 3years of use out of them... pretty happy with that.
    Went with the Glock R16front pad compound again. Seems to be working well at the track. I have yet to boil over the fluid...

Anyways.

Track day went alright. I wasn't feeling on my game but the car performed really well. You can really feel the difference in the panhard bar. The back of the car is a lot more planted. It feels even easier to drive closer to the limit, however, I think I have picked up a bit of understeer in all of the corners. Going to work on adjusting that out of the car with shock settings and possibly installing the steeda rear bar that I have. Overall, the Panhard bar is for sure an upgrade, just need to figure out how you utilize it better.
    The Dech was able to run low 22s and some mid 21s throughout the day.

In terms of next for upgrades... I'd like to get my cams and all my motor stuff installed. Have cams, lifters, gt500 followers, oil pan w/ windtray to go in.
    I am HOPING/praying these upgrades put me in the right direction in terms of speed at the track. I'm worried that the increased horsepower may come with some downside to the torque numbers... where the Dech shines atm.
    We won't know if we don't try it out though!
    Car makes 284/320 now... based off of research and what I have been told from MHS, I should get to the 310-320range while staying above 300torque.... but we shall see. Another 25-30horsepower out of it would be amazing.

Hope to at my next track day to try out the hooiser's that I have and push for a new PB.

20230612_101843.jpg
    20230612_101814.jpg
    20230612_111111.jpg
    20230612_101821.jpg
    20230613_130859.jpg

Engine update...

As many of you know been following this thread or talking to me... I've been struggling on what I want to do with the car in terms of power.
    Coyote? LS? NA build? Buy another car?

Well, I have thought/talked about this a lot with ZR... and I finally have landed on building a NA 2v deal.
    I know what some may think... "you could make a lot more power by doing ___"
    Honestly, I don't really care. I'm not really interested in motor swapping this car, all the BS of making stuff work 100%... I'm not into butchering a car or spending a million bucks making it perfect.

So the plan is, once the fall comes around, pull the motor, and store it as a roller. Going to have my aluminum motor built into something pretty badass.
    I am working with Beatty & Woods / Modular head shop on what everyone thinks the best combination of parts would work best for what I am after.

My power goals/expectations are in the 360-380 range and around 330-350torque at the tire.
    Revving it to 6500 all day long at the track.
    Compression 10.5
    TFS Heads from MHS
    Unsure on what cam as of yet
    - want to still be able to drive it wherever I want
    We will NOT be making it a stroker due to reliability issues
    Custom Wisco pistons
    Forged rod
    Stock crank
    - what I have is more then strong enough for what I am doing

Overall this build makes the most sense to me. Already have all the supporting mods in terms of K member, pulley setup, Throttle body/plenum/headers + exhaust etc etc.

Super excited to get a move on this. Stay tuned, the DECH will be blowing the doors off TTC bus's in no time!

F145603921.jpg
    F145582805.jpg

Ordered my TFS heads from MHS.... let the build begin...

MHS Prepped TFS Twisted Wedge 2V Cylinder Head / Cam Combo
    44cc (10.4:1 CR)
    TFS Stainless Steel 1.84" Intake / 1.450" Exhaust Valves
    MHS / PAC RPM Series Valve Springs - 130lbs Seat Pressure, .600" Max Lift
    MHS 4130 Chrome Moly Retainers
    Viton Valve Seals
    Ford GT Followers / Rockers
    Ford GT Lash Adjusters
    Stage 3 TFS 2v NA cams
    Camshaft Bolts, Sprockets, Spacers and Washers
    Camshaft Degree Service
    A Set of TFS Billet Adjustable Crankshaft Gears

WOW.............gonna be cool.

Interior Mods!

20230910_174505.jpg

I haven't done much on the interior ever since I got the car. But this year we have made some adjustments!

First up... I have been looking for a FR500 OEM steering wheel ever since I got the car. The prices on these are absolutely insane. 700-900usd + for USED wheels.... no thanks.
    Anyways, ended up getting the SVE version of the wheel. A mega improvement on the overall feel when driving the car. The larger diameter of the wheel makes it so you do not have to grip the wheel so hard and feels great.

20230910_174516.jpg

Next up was the shifter!
    I have been somewhat happy with the Pro 5.0 the car came with, but I wanted to try something new. With me trying out other cars with a weighted shift ball... I had to have one.

I introduce to you... RaceEng's weighted shift ball. I believe this shift ball weighs 2.1lbs. Has a nice shape and the 5speed engraved on the top.
    I also went ahead and bought a MGW shifter from Lou @ Barone Performance. Big thanks to him

Here are a couple of pics of the install and the final product. Shifts really really nicely. Looking forward to trying to out at track day.

20230910_120950.jpg
    20230910_174532.jpg
    20230910_174527.jpg

Sept 14th 2023 - Track day!

IMG_5810.JPG

The Dech was back at the track once again!
    Experienced my first 'cold slicks' laps. The first laps on the slicks that morning was insanely scary! LOL! The amount of grip, or lack of, was insane. I was wrecking loose for the first 2laps or so as I built tire temp into them. Was kinda fun!
    Overall, the car did pretty well even with the Diff still not working 100%. I had to be extremely patient on the gas or the rear inside tire would just light up. Was frustrating at times, but started to figure out how to control it better near the end of the day.
    I had my first break down! At the end of the second session that I did, I experienced the car got extremely loud in the car. Came into the pits and found out the rear passenger tailpipe had slipped out of the muffler! Big thanks to ZR for helping me get fixed up so I could run the rest of the day and drive the car home!
    I also tried this track day, rear hub spacers. I used H&R 3/4" rear wheel spacers. The overall thought on this was to bring a bit of stability to the car, and it did. The car felt more balanced front to back with this change. Improvements!
    I was able to sneak it into the 1.21's a couple of times throughout the day. I'm starting to think the 1.20.1 I did last year, was a fluke and/or didn't really happen. I have yet to get back into the 1.20s and I think I'm going faster then I ever have.
    My confidence in T1 & T2 brake zones has gone way up... so puzzled why I'm not able to get back to 1.20s. I think I'm going to reset my PB as a mid 1.21 and go from there.
    The only other explanation that I can think of... the tires that I am on, are getting worse while I am getting better, but laptimes are staying the same, not sure.

Not sure if this was the last track day of the year or not, either way, was a decent season with the car.
    Massive changes coming next year with the new motor! Sub 1.20s in coming?

IMG_5725.JPG
    IMG_5566.JPG
    IMG_5727.JPG
    IMG_6385.JPG