Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TIRE HELP

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
    275/40R19 is good all around on a stock ride height S197, but on a lowered car you may encounter some rubbing on the front with that much width and tire diameter. Additional negative camber might give enough clearance if needed, but not guaranteed. I had 285/35R19 on 10" +40 all around on my 07, but it also had about 2 degrees of negative camber as it didn't get a ton of miles every summer.

As mentioned above, 265/40R19 would be a good compromise size if you like the tire diameter large enough to help fill the fender openings.

cheers
    Ed
    I've been searching the web I see quite a few guys running the 275 40 with no rubbing on lowered cars.

Good to know ... keep in mind that wheel offset and the amount of suspension drop come in to play when you're trying to max things out. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples before spending your dough!
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

275/40R19 is good all around on a stock ride height S197, but on a lowered car you may encounter some rubbing on the front with that much width and tire diameter. Additional negative camber might give enough clearance if needed, but not guaranteed. I had 285/35R19 on 10" +40 all around on my 07, but it also had about 2 degrees of negative camber as it didn't get a ton of miles every summer.

As mentioned above, 265/40R19 would be a good compromise size if you like the tire diameter large enough to help fill the fender openings.

cheers
    Ed
    you don't hear much talk about negative camber - there was a time when most cars had negative camber - most people today think in terms of positive camber but with a wider tire choice negative camber can make it work better overall rubbing or no rubbing...
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

I was just about to make a post asking a similar question, I have a 2014 v6 Manuel, Stock size is 225/60/r17 , what would be an ideal upgrade for myself? Can i just go straight to 18's with a lower profile?

255/45R18 or 275/40R18 would be common choices for a square setup, depending on what wheel width you get.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    81 VW Scirocco S
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

255/45R18 or 275/40R18 would be common choices for a square setup, depending on what wheel width you get.

cheers
    Ed
    Those are the two sizes I’ve run on Ol Paint. The 255s on a 8.5” wide rim and the 275s on a 10” wide rim.

so after some research I bit the bullet on 275 40 19 fingers crossed. ill keep everyone updated whether this was a good idea or a total fail on my part.

Thanks for all the responses.

I made the mistake of buying 20" rims when I installed my Gran Turismo Brembo setup. They were the only rims i found locally that cleared the calipers in both offset and rim size. I wasn't really taken with the look of them, even though they were a relatively subtle design, but as time went by I went through all the stages.. Like, mild dislike, dislike, denial, hatred, anger and finally, after 2 years, pathological hatred. Finding rims to clear the brakes turned out to be harder than I had thought, The Gran Turismo is a direct-from-Brembo product and not to be confused with the Ford kit which uses smaller calipers and a different mounting method (which tucks the calipers in more). Finally I essentially gave up and got some 18" NOS GT500 Rims, they didn't look so bad after I had them painted Flat Black. Clearance is tight to say the least but there's never been contact and the car looks waaaaaaay better with the smaller rim. 285/35/18

I think that 19's would be nice too but with a shallow tire wall size to avoid fender interference.

If your ever contemplating another wheel chance, take a look at Apex Racing. They make a smooth barrel 18 that clears big brakes. Have them on my '05 + set here ready to install on my '20 PP2. In case you'd like to see in person, I had a set of the last three.