Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S/C - Turbo ??

S/C - Turbo ??

I m sorta considering changing my V7 Vortech , and making my 99 GT a Turbo car. Just wondering the pros n cons of that move?? i am concerned bout the Heat generated by the Turbo?? Mostly driving round , long cruises, the occasional Track day, especially the Road Course... It should make more HP and especially Torque.. Whick I ll like, but I m wondering bout the Heat, over heating the whole engine compartment. I think it was an On3 Turbo I was looking at. Of course I d have to sell the V7 and Kooks long tubes, and some other goodies that I don t need from the S/C system....which hold great value... What you guys think of a move like that ??

Nothing wrong with a turbo, make great h/p n torque but just like any other power adder gotta look after all the little things that make it work for the long haul and yes keeping heat in check is one of them. Difference between it and a centri blower will blow your mind.

I'm an On 3 Performance dealer and I installed a single 76mm in my 2011 GT last year after having the Paxton on the car. All I have to say is I won't be going back to a blower any time soon, the turbo is great for the engine with less stress and you can easily control the power with a boost controller. The heat is there but not too much to worry about, if you wrap the pipes you'll be fine.

The On 3 kits are great but you need to be very patient when doing the install or get a professional to do it, find someone that knows turbos. If you need more information or need a quote please contact me and I'll be more than happy to help. My contact info is in my signature.
    Barone Performance
    Canada's Online Aftermarket Parts Store

Have you had the car to the track at all?? ... Where is the engine less stressed ?? and, do you use the existing mufflers, or run no mufflers??

Had the car at TMP twice last year after the turbo install and with a Lund Racing tune and running E85 the car ran best 9.72 @ 142

The engine is less stressed with a turbo because there are no belts attached to the crank, the exhaust from your car's engine spins the turbo to make power.

I purchased free flowing mufflers for less back pressure. Also, this year I had a motor built so I'll be running more boost so I added an electric cut-out, the cut-out will be opened when I run 15 psi or more. Going to run 20 psi this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehot View Post
    Have you had the car to the track at all?? ... Where is the engine less stressed ?? and, do you use the existing mufflers, or run no mufflers??
    Barone Performance
    Canada's Online Aftermarket Parts Store

So, I d end up selling the Vortech V7 S/C , kooks long tube headers. maybe a few other little things.....Just goin over the numbers with my mechanic. See if its viable ?? ... Sounds really interesting though ....

Another option, intercooled PD blower from KB.

I ordered the Turbo today ... we ll see how things work out... I m able to use alotta parts from the S/C ... Water meth, car already has K member done...When all other S/C parts come off first week in April, I ll sell them.. Vortech V7 , Anderson power pipe , Kooks Long tube headers , maybe couple other things, not sure yet lol. Thx guys

That was quick decision...LOL
    Never enough power...could be a worse addiction...
    Congrats

Little 2V 700+ RWHP, Pump Gas
    10.46 sec @ 136 mph

There are worse things to be addicted to ... I m sure Ill break something else, But i ve had that engine combo now since 2014 ish, so its time for a little more ....