Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tires, tires, tires...

Tires, tires, tires...

Yes, I know this has been discussed to death, but it's been several years since I had to put new boots on Ol Paint so I turning to you, the TMC, to get your opinions. Ol Paint, for those that don't know him, is my 2006 Roush-charged Mustang GT. Let's say 400HP/400TQ for power, mostly a weekend cruiser, that will see the occasional lapping day. Right now I'm looking at the usual suspects, Nitto NT555 Gen2, Firestone Firehawk Indy500, Continental Contisports. Not in the market to have two sets of wheels (one for road and one for track), so I'm just wondering what else people are running and how you like them.

Thanks
    Stephen

I've got the Nitto's on mine , same HP , staggered set up, have no complaints ~
    ~REMEMBER, " life in prison" doesn't mean SHIT to a senior citizen ~ http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/for...4&type=profile

Michelin Pilot Sport 4s is quite the contender but the Nitto NT555 is very very good as well.

The Firehawk tire is a little easier on the wallet. My brother in-law had them on his boosted 05. No track time but they were darn sticky at the launch.

My dad is chewing up his firestone indy500's. Car does see double duty street and track. He says he's not much of a fan of them in the rain either.
    I put falken fk510 on mine on a friends recommendation based on good wet traction.
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

Club Supporter
    Firestone Indy 500 on the CTS worked pretty well at the track. My vote would be for the Michelin 4S if the budget allows.

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar

Tires, tires, tires...

Very happy with Firestone firehawks for the price -track and daily during driving season, as Al said it’s easy on the wallet unless prices have changed. ( under $1000 with taxes back then)

I’m probably going to buy them again, but one thing I did notice now is that they do get pretty “ loud” as they wear compared to my continentals prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

Anyone have any knowledge of the Yokohama Advan ApexV601 or Hankook RS4?

Club Supporter
    Fast Ed is a fan of the RS4 if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen06GT View Post
    Anyone have any knowledge of the Yokohama Advan ApexV601 or Hankook RS4?
    The Ontario Time Attack club I am with suggested for me to try out the Hankook RS4's. They swear up and down that it's one of the best lapping day tires out there at the moment.
    However, I couldn't find any information on how people thought of them in the rain.

I think a good lapping day tire will lack that traction you'd want to have in the rain.
    It is definitely a pros and cons game in trying to find a balance between a 'track tire' and a street car tire.

What helped me narrow down my choices was sizes.
    With Covid a lot of tire sizes and even compounds have been either discontinued or backordered.

My vote would probably be like you suggested, the Nitto or the Firehawk's. Probably the Firehawk as they are significantly cheaper then the Nitto's. Plus, if you don't like them, you havn't spent an arm and a leg finding that out.

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'