Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Fox rear wheels 9" or 10"?

Fox rear wheels 9" or 10"?

Thinking of getting new wheels for my 88 mustang. 4 bolt from lmr or AM. Currently I have a 17x9 with 275 tire lowered on Eibach pro kit. +18mm offset with 5.75" backspacing. I've rolled the fenders and flipped the quad shock.

So a 17x10 (+20mm, 6.29" backspacing) might fit, might rub on the quad shock or the fender?

Is the only advantage of a 10" wheel to run a wider tire and line up with the body? Is there anything else to consider?
    Last edited by m_owing; 03-26-2021 at 02:12 PM.

If your back spacing is the same as the 9" you shouldn't have an issue on the inside - but everything on the outside will move out an inch
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    If your back spacing is the same as the 9" you shouldn't have an issue on the inside - but everything on the outside will move out an inch
    edited my post. 17x9 is 5.75" and 17x10 is 6.29" backspacing. 14.7mm closer to suspension and 10.7mm farther out, 10" vs 9"

I'm not much of a mm guy but it looks like your better than a 1/2" on the inside and about 5/8" on the outside - you can check those clearances buy measuring off your mounted 9" - next you need to consider sidewall expansion on the new tires - some good websites will give all the tire specs...some guys cheat and put a tire too small for the wheel and that seems to eliminate the sidewall of the tire - I don't recommend that and the D.O.T. might not either...
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

I ran 10's on my old notch, depending on the tire size the inner fenders might need some massaging.
    Rear end does move side to side during cornering or articulation even with a panhard bar so if your tight on clearance it will rub.
    Sometimes there is exhaust clearance issues depending on tire size

Pic of my old notch with 315 nitto's on a 10inch rim

Do a 10” cuz it looks cooler, otherwise there’s no point. You can run your 275 on a 10” wheel no problem, I did on my old Bullitt and I loved the look, it was a bit stretched, but not much, I also ran a 9” up front with a 245/45, same stretch. 9s are a bit tough to fit on a fox, but you can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    Do a 10” cuz it looks cooler, otherwise there’s no point.
    I like the reasoning!
    Car is still in storage I need to measure.
    This pic compares the same tire on 17x9(what I have now) and 17x10 wheel, a 275 tire will stay in about the same position. It's the 10" wheel I'm wondering about.
    I'm looking at the 03 cobra wheels (4 bolt). They only come in 9" and 10" widths, so I have to go 9" in the front.

wheels_9vs10 - Copy.jpg

Another idea, wheel spacer (billet high quality spacers like Eibach / H&R / MM only) to give it the look your after.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Another idea, wheel spacer (billet high quality spacers like Eibach / H&R / MM only) to give it the look your after.
    It’s really not so much about looks as fitment and versatility.
    MM makes a 1/4” spacer. Any thicker and it’s probably a custom order. The 4x108 spacers available are usually either adapters (4x108 to 4x100) or smaller center bore as the only cars that have that pattern now are imports. There are some rims I really like in 4x108 but the offset are always around +40 I’d need a 2cm spacer for it to even look stock.

Also the tires I currently want, to match the front only come in 255 for a 17” wheel. Smh