Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  11

Thread: is my Fox original paint...?

is my Fox original paint...?

vin1.jpeg

vin2.jpg

I've been working on a fox for the better part of the winter and came across these stickers. They are V.I.N. identification stickers and originally could be found on all the removable body parts on late model fox bodies. I'm not sure when they began putting them on because I don't recall them on any four eyed foxes I had encountered. In 1990 I owned a brand new fox and clearly remember these stickers located in out of the way location throughout the body. That being said not sure if they were installed by Ford after 1990. If you have a late model fox and have always wondered if the paint and panels are original checked for these stickers - if they are present it's a good chance the car could be original paint or at least original paint in the areas of the stickers - if they are not present, panels and paint are likely recent additions....also check the numbers to see if they match

The stickers shown are found in the truck area one on each side - although this car has bee painted several times - this area has not and the lack of stickers throughout the car indicates to me what I suspected with the rest of the car and sheds some light on the history - this one is 1988 and is still a nice fox!
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

My 1990 was repainted in 2000 and thankfully all VIN decals are visible. The VIN decals were introduced in 1987 and ended in 1998 on the SN95. Depending on the model the LX would have 10 decals and the GT would have 12 decals.

Those vin decals have become one of the more valuable finds on rust free late model Mustangs. As Anthony mentioned Ford began use in the 1987 model year.
    FABMAN