Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  7

Thread: McLeod Street Pro Clutch - S197 Mustang GT - Help

Warpony07

McLeod Street Pro Clutch - S197 Mustang GT - Help

Afternoon all, new here but was on GTAMC for the longest time until that somehow disappeared, but I have been absent for the last couple years.

Just had the McLeod Street Pro clutch put in and I have some questions, as its not what I expected. First, it's to the floor to engage and very light. I only have driven it from the shop to my home which is about 5 minutes, so I need to get more road time. But this seems way too soft and engagement too low. Speaking with McLeod they said it should be 1/4 to 1/2 travel from the floor board, so I'd say I'm in the 1/4" range. But its really soft compared to the leg workout I've had for the last few years with my 2007.

One thing my mechanic mentioned was it should have a spacer for the hydro throwout bearing, but McLeod said it doesn't, they made a change Dec 2019 - March 2020 and removed the need for one, or so they say. Would that help with having it further up the travel?

So my main question is, has anyone installed a new McLeod clutch, particularly the Street Pro, in the last 6 months and what is your experience? I paired it with a LUK flywheel and new throwout bearing (Ford Performance), Ford pilot bearing. I thought I was good. My setup isn't overly mod'd, if you call a CAI and cat-backs mod'd with canned Steeda tune, but this clutch is rated for 400HP. I'm close to stock HP probably (280HP?) Was that a mistake, does that make a difference. All the things I've read indicated it really won't, but what do I know.

Anyway, if someone can chirp in and ease my mind...

Did you install a new slave / release bearing at the same time? If so, what make?
    Did they confirm installed height of the new flywheel matches the original?
    Most likely air still in the master / slave cylinder.
    With the car shut off, cycle the clutch pedal up and down at a moderate rate 100 times (no I'm not kidding). If no improvement, do it another 100 times.

Warpony07
    Yes sir. Ford Performance hydraulic release bearing and new pilot bearing. I was thinking the same and pumped it for about 10 minutes last night. Got a little better, so I was planning to do it more this weekend (100 times I believe you). My mechanic said he bleed the system 4 times. But that was my plan, some say to raise it 8" on driver side and grab a beer and pump away for the afternoon. Will give it a shot.

If it got a bit better, needs more bleeding.
    Flat surface, engine off, steady pump the pedal up and down (not too fast)
    We've seen the odd one take 300 or more cycles to fully purge all of the air.
    Welcome to TMC.

Also good idea to check pivot at the clutch pedal for excessive play eating up your adjustment. Very common for them to get loose / break n fall off on higher mileage S197's.

Warpony07
    Thanks, will check it out. Looks like I'm getting a leg workout again.

Welcome!

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'

Warpony07

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Welcome!
    Thanks, good to be here.

WELCOME
    ~REMEMBER, " life in prison" doesn't mean SHIT to a senior citizen ~ http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/for...4&type=profile