Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  64
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a secure way to pay for a far-away car being shipped?

Is there a secure way to pay for a far-away car being shipped?

I’m looking for a kinda rare car and have found one in another province. With the lockdown bullshit and “mandatory quarantine” I won’t be able to fly out and make a deal, and the guy doesn’t want to send the car without being paid in full. It’s a private sale and I don’t know him at all, he has also been less than truthful about something on the car, so of course, I don’t trust him a whole lot.
    He’s wanting e-transfer and says he’s done it before and this is how people import cars from other countries all the time......

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    I’m looking for a kinda rare car and have found one in another province. With the lockdown bullshit and “mandatory quarantine” I won’t be able to fly out and make a deal, and the guy doesn’t want to send the car without being paid in full. It’s a private sale and I don’t know him at all, he has also been less than truthful about something on the car, so of course, I don’t trust him a whole lot.
    He’s wanting e-transfer and says he’s done it before and this is how people import cars from other countries all the time......
    Smells like bullshit man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m not slow, I just like the way your bumper looks

Usually not a good idea to etransfer without having product. Seen some people do the etransfer but hold the password until merchandise received. This does not help if the seller has direct deposit (no password needed). Isn't there a limit to funds available for etransfers? $3000/day?
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

I think you should call your bank. Perhaps hire a lawyer to hold funds in trust until product confirmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m not slow, I just like the way your bumper looks

I think that's the risk you have to take when buying a car out of province.

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'

In fairness, this has happened quite a few times this past year with trying to sell stuff to people far away.
    Some people's thought process is, "I'm not sending you a dime till I have the product in hand and can inspect it"
    Others are... "I'll send you half, you ship, it arrives, I send you other half"
    Other others "I'll send you full payment, you ship."

It's the 'game' you play buying and selling stuff.

I personally will only ship something once it's paid in full.
    There is no way in hell am I shipping something to someone and hoping they pay me afterwards.

Last fall, found car of cars / one I wanted so bad it hurt...................could not bring myself to forward money without seeing, touching n feeling it for myself. I know lots of people that have and had no problems, just can't do it myself.

I’m fine with sending a deposit, but no way will I pay in full before it gets on the truck.
    Funny though, I ask why would I pay without having the car? He replies “it’s called trust”, lol, I replied well he doesn’t trust me enough to send the car, so that argument is bullshit.

Can see sellers point as well as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    I’m fine with sending a deposit, but no way will I pay in full before it gets on the truck.
    Funny though, I ask why would I pay without having the car? He replies “it’s called trust”, lol, I replied well he doesn’t trust me enough to send the car, so that argument is bullshit.
    I think there is a certain point where you just have to take a leap of faith or just don't bother though.
    There is no chance a seller puts a vehicle on a trailer without having payment.