Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  64
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a secure way to pay for a far-away car being shipped?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    I think there is a certain point where you just have to take a leap of faith or just don't bother though.
    There is no chance a seller puts a vehicle on a trailer without having payment.
    That depends who it is, and what they’re hiding. Like I said I am willing to pay a deposit, which would cover shipping, so if the car isn’t as described, it’s on my dime.
    Anytime I sell anything I try to describe it perfectly, if not a bit worse than it is, I’d rather have people happy that it’s nicer than they thought. He has already misrepresented the car once, even after being asked very specific questions.
    I get what you’re saying though

I definitely wouldn’t be taking that risk....but I also don’t trust many people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    That depends who it is, and what they’re hiding. Like I said I am willing to pay a deposit, which would cover shipping, so if the car isn’t as described, it’s on my dime.
    Anytime I sell anything I try to describe it perfectly, if not a bit worse than it is, I’d rather have people happy that it’s nicer than they thought. He has already misrepresented the car once, even after being asked very specific questions.
    I get what you’re saying though
    This tells you everything you need to know right there. The seller isn’t honest. So even if you get what you want are you prepared to receive a lemon ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m not slow, I just like the way your bumper looks

That is definitely stuck between a rock and a hard place. I am heisitant just thinking about it.

Unfortunately we don't have escrow services in Canada other than for real estate which is done through banks. That would be the only safe way really. Do you have any family or friends who live in the area where the car is? I did that recently with a car I bought in Alberta, lucky enough to have a good friend who could put eyes on the car for me and do a Facetime call so I could look at everything I wanted to on it before making a deal.

In the end I'd say if your gut is telling you no, then go with that.

cheers
    Ed
    12 GT500 coupe
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Perhaps there is a private automotive broker in the other province you could hire to act on your behalf. It will cost you a bit but well worth it.

Personally I could never buy remote like this.

The closest I came was sending a small deposit to hold the car until I arrived to see it. We agreed on the price before I got there with the understanding I could walk if the car was not as described. He would keep my deposit but it was only a few hundred. I bought the car and paid the balance in person. I had a good feeling about the seller so didn't have much concern.

Maybe you could roll the dice with a deposit and see if the guy would hold the car a few months until you can get there to pay the balance.

Can you have a PPI inspection done at a 3rd party shop to at least verify the existence and condition of the car as well as ownership status? Assuming that all checks out my next move would be to tell him he will paid by certified cheque or bank draft delivered by the transport company at the time they come to pick the car up. If he doesn't hand over the keys/title and car to shipper no cheque handed over and you void the draft.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

^That was my thinking as well, pay the shipper, a COD deal. He says it’s not getting on the trailer until paid in full, it’s also a super-low car, so there may be shipping damage as well. Too many questions at this point, I told him last night to move on to the next guy.

My buddy Jay just had a Viper shipped from Alberta, I guess the shipper he used was great if you need a reco.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Can you have a PPI inspection done at a 3rd party shop to at least verify the existence and condition of the car as well as ownership status? Assuming that all checks out my next move would be to tell him he will paid by certified cheque or bank draft delivered by the transport company at the time they come to pick the car up. If he doesn't hand over the keys/title and car to shipper no cheque handed over and you void the draft.
    ^^^This. Another member here has done a number of U.S vehicle transactions in the past. He contacted a dealer that was local to the seller and asked if they would be interested in making some money by inspecting and brokering the deal. He then arranged for the seller to bring the car to the dealer where it was inspected and all other information verified. Once all parties were comfortable the money and title exchanged hands. Car was then picked up by the auto carrier and delivered here.

A bit of time spent on the phone but in the end all worked out well.
    Member of the IDGAF+FU2 Community