Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  44
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Truth About Owning a Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Armen View Post
    For a DD, it’s an awesome choice.
    If I lived in the city and worked in the city I would own one - the range is not there yet for me with 1000k commute/week and I don’t think it will be until hydrogen is a norm in a hybrid - it’s going to be interesting the future I see a lot of opportunities
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    the range is not there yet for me with 1000k commute/week and I don’t think….
    Making some assumptions here, but: 1000k/week = 200k per day. You don’t think an EV can do 200k?
    (I’m assuming your 1000k is spread out through the week, and not 1000k in one day, then nothing the rest of the week)
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Making some assumptions here, but: 1000k/week = 200k per day. You don’t think an EV can do 200k?
    (I’m assuming your 1000k is spread out through the week, and not 1000k in one day, then nothing the rest of the week)
    Not in the winter after a few years - have nowhere to plug in on cold days where I work - not going to pay 100 grand to maybe get that that - drove my fox two winters with now heat I’m not a Karen lol I think that’s the term - LOL but only paid five grand for the fox - yes spread thru the week
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    Not in the winter after a few years…
    Opinion? Or fact?
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Opinion? Or fact?
    Maybe a little of both - it’s no secret the led battery life is reduced in cold weather - I think a model s will do it but at what price point - after several years battery life depletes especially LED more so over lead batteries- I think the clincher will be hydrogen hybrids combined with electric motors - it is my understanding that when battery life is low other power sucking functions like heat and air con are cut out and I’ve seen this with the leaf (Nissan)
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Intrigued I looked into this a little more - I looked at the Nissan Leaf simply for affordability compared to the Model S - 2021 leaf comes with two battery sizes with a range between 250 to 350 pending battery size - the larger gets greater distance at 62 kWh - it takes 10 hours to charge At 120 - I have no more room in my panel to for a quicker charge and will need to hire an electrician - so 120 it is - off peak hours is 8.2 cents a kilowatt hour which would equate to about 35-40 dollars per week - I could only find two for sale in Ottawa price range was 48 - 51,000 dollars then factor in insurance (all figures are rounded off) A few years ago I bought a Honda Civic for 2500 dollars spent about 50 dollar’s a week of fuel and very little in insurance - my hydro bill has tripled and some months quaded out (new word) in some months in the past ten years - in the next ten years I’m sure this trend will continue to increase upwards at the same rate - looks like I will be biking it again in ten years lol
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

I’ve got the Tesla Model 3 and a Ford Focus Electric and love both of them. Has saved my wife and I time. Which means money, as we were both commuting to Oakville everyday. Tesla gets us 400km per charge and focus gets us 200 km. The HOV lane saves us tons of time. But when the pandemic hit we both work from home permanently now. So now we use them for pleasure drives and around town. Our Daughters now use them for school and their part time jobs. We also have a new Jeep Wrangler and the Saleen for pleasure as well. So we have best of all worlds. I do have to say. Getting in the tesla makes all other cars feel ancient! The technology so much superior to all others. It never stops impressing me. Best car I’ve ever owned so far. Hands down. I know there are haters out there for EV cars. But everyone has their own tastes and opinions.

2008 Saleen S281 Supercharged Speedster Candy Apple Red #12c
    1998 Saleen SVT Cobra S281 Speedster Chrome Yellow #71

Quote Originally Posted by saleen27c View Post
    I’ve got the Tesla Model 3 and a Ford Focus Electric and love both of them. Has saved my wife and I time. Which means money, as we were both commuting to Oakville everyday. Tesla gets us 400km per charge and focus gets us 200 km. The HOV lane saves us tons of time. But when the pandemic hit we both work from home permanently now. So now we use them for pleasure drives and around town. Our Daughters now use them for school and their part time jobs. We also have a new Jeep Wrangler and the Saleen for pleasure as well. So we have best of all worlds. I do have to say. Getting in the tesla makes all other cars feel ancient! The technology so much superior to all others. It never stops impressing me. Best car I’ve ever owned so far. Hands down. I know there are haters out there for EV cars. But everyone has their own tastes and opinions.
    Maybe you can help me with my range dilemma - When you did commute was it east/west or north/south...? - I have two concerns - 1. I believe I live at the highest altitude in Ontario. My commute down with the gas engines I have available uses 1/8 of a tank. The commute north uses 3/8th's of a tank - a quarter tank a day. So I use extremely more fuel driving home and I'm thinking I will use extremely more battery power on the drive home making the ranges available on affordable ev's maybe difficult to maintain. I can't plug in during the day when in the city of Brampton. I see a lot of ev's on the ride home but usually not past Hwy 9 - the odd time I will see a Model S heading up towards Collingwood - 2. I've read batteries are effected in extreme cold - we experience extreme cold most nights in the winter. I don't think this will be much of an issue in the cities close to lake Ontario. It would be really nice not to have to purchase fuel as I consume $500 - $800.00 worth a month depending on outside temperature. My thinking is, if I didn't spend money on fuel that dollar amount could be the ev payment. (who knows maybe a Model S) It's the range thing the hampers me as well as battery longevity - it may be coincidence but on very very cold days and poor winter weather condition (like snow storms) I seldom see the Tesla's coming out of Orangeville or returning on my daily commutes...
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

www.geotab.com/blog/ev-battery-health/

if anyone is interested and has a lot of questions and concerns about ev's and batteries, range etc., as I do, I found this cool sight - haven't read it all thru but will - also looked at the Mach E and it has an extremely slow charge time from empty to full charge 21 hours on a typical 110 circuit - most others are half that time - The Mach E on 240 is 11 hours still longer than most others using a typical 110 - I find this important if I find myself needing to charge every night it's also info Ford and many others don't seem freely share and choose others words to getting around charging woe's - also wondered about the green license plate as mentioned above - with this plate the HVO lanes can be used with a single person in the vehicle - I did not know that and wondered
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd