Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Square vs. Staggered Wheel Setups

Square vs. Staggered Wheel Setups

Interesting article.

Which one will give me more performance?
    While there is no definitive right or wrong answer to these questions, there are some key variables that will help you answer these questions for yourself. Drivetrain layout, power output, suspension setup, and alignment settings can all contribute to how your particular vehicle can take advantage of the distinct characteristics that each type of setup offers.
    First of all, what's the difference?
    Square Fitment Staggered Fitment
    All four wheels are the same diameter, width, and offset. All four tires are the same size. All four wheels are the same diameter. Two wheels (typically the drive wheels) are wider.
    Special circumstances
    These situations are not common, but they will be listed in our fitment guides when recommended or required for specific applications.

• Double-Staggered Fitment: Rear wheels have a larger width and diameter. This kind of setup is used due to limited tire selection and/or aesthetics.
    • Reverse-Staggered Fitment: Front wheels have a larger width and/or diameter. This kind of setup is used to accommodate massive front brake setups.
    • Non-Rotateable Square Fitment: All wheels have the same width and diameter, but the front and rear offsets are different to account for a vehicle design or brake/suspension geometry where it's not possible to fit the same offset on both.

Reasons to use a Square Fitment:

• Longer Tire Life - By allowing front-to-rear and left-to-right tire rotation, a square fitment will help you get the most miles out of your tires. Drivers attending track days or racing wheel to wheel know that track layout will have a significant impact on tire wear. For instance, if a track has multiple high speed left hand sweepers, the passenger side front tire is going to experience accelerated wear. With a square setup, drivers can monitor wear patterns across all four tires, rotating as needed.
    • Neutral Handling - Equal tread width front and rear means the car will exhibit more neutral and balanced handling characteristics. This reduces or eliminates the tendency to understeer on a typical front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout with a staggered fitment.
    • Reduced Costs - By rotating your tires regularly, they'll last far longer and reduce operating costs. Track use will amplify these cost savings.
    • Simplicity - Buying wheels and tires is just easier when they are all the same size. Keeping a spare is easier since you know it will fit the front or the rear if needed.

Reasons to use a Staggered Fitment:

• More Rear Traction - By fitting a wider tire on the drive axle, you'll have more available traction in higher-horsepower vehicles. This is most useful in straight-line acceleration from a stop and when exiting a corner.
    • Improved Aesthetics - Both the front and rear wheels can sit flush with the fenders without requiring the use of spacers.
    • Retain OEM-Like Handling - Most front-engine rear-wheel-drive vehicles come with staggered fitments from the factory. By sticking with this layout you can retain the handling characteristics of the car that you may already familiar with.

https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...d-Wheel-Setups

A lot more pros on the square setup, considering “looks” is one on the pros in the staggered column.
    -Don____________

Tire choice is all situational in what you are trying to do with your car.

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    A lot more pros on the square setup, considering “looks” is one on the pros in the staggered column.
    Look good, feel good, drive good?
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

I’d prefer a square setup. This way I can rotate the wheels and have longevity with them. I always worry if I went staggered and needed new rear tires, that the rear tires get discontinued then I’d have to get new fronts as well to match.
    2014 V6 MT Club of America
    IG: xeninworx

Love the look of it on my Cobra but like way square set up feels n drives on my other two cars.

I still plan to order a dedicated set of square wheels and tires for track use. Covid delayed my plans but likely going to happen in the near future.
    FABMAN

Square Wheels? I thought we were talking about cave man wheels.