Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  96
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: I thought math was settled, apparently not…

lol the current math curriculum woefully prepares students for post secondary education. This is just plain stupidity.
    '20 Raptor S/CREW | '15 Mustang GT | '24 GR Supra 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    I don't think so. I read through the page and it's still a lot of mumbo jumbo about differential learning (adapting examples to backgrounds; ie. different game plays heading to the same goalposts) but the outputs/goalposts are the same. It's a variant on using different approaches with people based on their Myers-Briggs, True Colors or other similar profile structures. We still have to build bridges, manufacture things, manage money, etc so the learning output/goal has to be consistent....just the route there differs. Sounds like it was a government make-work project for consultants to write up how they're adapting teaching to different student needs. Good teachers have always done this.
    Somehow I knew you would disagree that this was bad………….

Club Supporter
    Well, in the same way you have inductive and deductive reasoning - there is more than one way of learning the SAME thing. If you think it's not learning the SAME thing you should ask if there is someone pedaling the "outrage" to manipulate their audience and fit their agenda. If anything, you should be outraged at the atrocious use of your tax dollars for them to re-write what good teachers likely already do in their classes (ie. tailor their delivery approach to different student learning styles). It's really not that much more complicated.

TMC members will be heading to TMP on July 22 for track day, taking different routes but arriving at the same destination (TMP)….isn't this the same concept? I’m sure we could write a math problem into this example….lol.

Doesn't the education system already have different streams for advanced/gifted students versus others? This is not that different except my read is that they'll be doing it in the same class environment. That said, it shouldn't penalize one student versus another if they have different styles but I think that would depend on the teachers. I know we have some teachers on here so it's best to hear from them what the impact (if any) of the delivery styles contemplated would have (or not).
    Last edited by 92redragtop; 07-14-2021 at 01:30 AM.

Well, in the same way you have inductive and deductive reasoning - there is more than one way of learning the SAME thing. If you think it's not learning the SAME thing you should ask if there is someone pedaling the "outrage" to manipulate their audience and fit their agenda. If anything, you should be outraged at the atrocious use of your tax dollars for them to re-write what good teachers likely already do in their classes (ie. tailor their delivery approach to different student learning styles). It's really not that much more complicated.

TMC members will be heading to TMP on July 22 for track day, taking different routes but arriving at the same destination (TMP)….isn't this the same concept? I’m sure we could write a math problem into this example….lol.

Doesn't the education system already have different streams for advanced/gifted students versus others? This is not that different except my read is that they'll be doing it in the same class environment. That said, it shouldn't penalize one student versus another if they have different styles but I think that would depend on the teachers. I know we have some teachers on here so it's best to hear from them what the impact (if any) of the delivery styles contemplated would have (or not).
    The education system is god awful in Ontario. It is very very far behind other countries and it doesn't prepare students well for post secondary education. Not surprisingly, the teacher's unions have zero desire to change the status quo to make it more rigorous. Another issue is massive grade inflation that makes it difficult for students when they apply to college/uni.
    '20 Raptor S/CREW | '15 Mustang GT | '24 GR Supra 6M

Quote Originally Posted by UnlimitedTraction View Post
    lol the current math curriculum woefully prepares students for post secondary education. This is just plain stupidity.
    This is true - I was terrible at math and asked my kids what level are you taking this is like calculus (something I would never go near) when my children come home with math homework and have no idea what is going on, there's something wrong... when I have to spend hours online teaching myself math so I can then in turn teach my children... there's something wrong - I do what I can to get them thru it but at the same time feel like a bad parent because, I'm teaching them that all you need in life is the basics (as we could do get thru life) but deep down know it goes deeper and they will need to know more than I could teach them - what we went thru this year to get my daughter thru math begs me to ask the question - Why do we pay for schooling...? There must be a more efficient and affordable way - I don't receive a penny or a tax break for teaching my own kid after my 12 hour day.
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UnlimitedTraction View Post
    The education system is god awful in Ontario. It is very very far behind other countries and it doesn't prepare students well for post secondary education. Not surprisingly, the teacher's unions have zero desire to change the status quo to make it more rigorous. Another issue is massive grade inflation that makes it difficult for students when they apply to college/uni.
    I don't have experience with the education system in Ontario (I did the British GCE "O" and "A" levels for secondary school) so that may be the case. That said, don't we graduate world class talent in various STEM disciplines here where our students are in high demand by MNCs? I had a lot of very bright Ontario educated people in my Master's program at Western. I'm sure a lot of members here have smart kids in university or out working, and I have Ontario educated nieces/nephews who are working in STEM or financial fields - were they flukes?

That said, I don't agree with grade inflation and giving everyone a medal as that's not how the world works (I think this is a more recent thing?).

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar

I thought math was settled, apparently not…

I don't have experience with the education system in Ontario (I did the British GCE "O" and "A" levels for secondary school) so that may be the case. That said, don't we graduate world class talent in various STEM disciplines here where our students are in high demand by MNCs? I had a lot of very bright Ontario educated people in my Master's program at Western. I'm sure a lot of members here have smart kids in university or out working, and I have Ontario educated nieces/nephews who are working in STEM or financial fields - were they flukes?

That said, I don't agree with grade inflation and giving everyone a medal as that's not how the world works (I think this is a more recent thing?).
    Whole family went through ( and currently going through) the Ontario school system .
    I personally had no problems with it( shrug) I think it prepared us for post secondary.
    As far as comparing it with international education levels ,daughter has been offered opportunities with S Korea and is currently doing an internship with Japan (shrug). Just saying international organizations do look at students from Ontario .( in my experience)

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver

2024 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red - Performance Package - Nite Pony Package - Active Exhaust - Recaro Seats - Magneride - H-Pipe
    2023 Ford F150 XLT - Agate Black - Powerboost - Black Appearance Package - Black Rhino Atlas Wheels (18X9) - BF Goodrich K02 (275,70,R18)

Club Supporter
    LOL so they removed the mumbo jumbo language that's causing an "uproar" but the revised curriculum is still in place. I guess that's all it takes to appease the marauders? (I hope they can get a refund from the consultants who wrote that description for them).

Super Moderator newbiestangowner's Avatar
    ^there you go Richard, they cut the …..^

2014 GT- MT 82, 3.73,Roush a/b, Forgestar f14 19x9/10 firestone firehawk indy 500- 255 F /285 R ,BMR springs sp009, pan hard, koni yellows ,m/m caster,
    MGW XSPEC low profile 2.625in throw
    slo turd 5.0, even slower driver