Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Brake upgrade for 06GT…

Brake upgrade for 06GT…

After this last lapping day I’ve come to realize that Ol Paint is lacking a little in the whoa department. I’ve already upgraded to bigger front rotors (thanks FastEd), but I think it’s time for better pads or binders or both. I’d like to run them with my 18” Bullitt wheels but I know that is a big ask. It looks like Wilwood might have a package that fits the bill, but I’d still like to hear from any of you that have done an upgrade with either pads or calipers.

Thanks
    Stephen

What pads are you running right now?

Easiest would be to try better pads. You planning on swapping pads for track day? Or looking for an “all-season” brake pad?
    I’d be giving Frank Ewald a call and asking his reco on a set of g-lock pads.
    -Don____________

Something to think about moving to another caliper is, what pads are available for that caliper. Going to an oddball caliper might make pad selection pretty small.

Have you done Stainless steel lines front and back?
    I'd echo what Don said,
    moving to a more aggressive pad like a R12 and R6 or R8 for the rear from Glock might get you to your happy place.
    (my race brakes are a R16/10 (sounded like a bus on the way home from the track)
    My vote is still moving up into a Brembo caliper. Financially won't be good in the short term, but it will be better in the long term.

Do you remember what pads you have in their currently? I'm thinking you have ford?

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'

Current pads are Ford Bullitt spec ones front and rear.

I'd agree with Don and Ross, try some more aggressive pads first before shelling out bucks for a caliper upgrade.
    12 GT500 coupe
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen06GT View Post
    After this last lapping day I’ve come to realize that Ol Paint is lacking a little in the whoa department. I’ve already upgraded to bigger front rotors (thanks FastEd), but I think it’s time for better pads or binders or both. I’d like to run them with my 18” Bullitt wheels but I know that is a big ask. It looks like Wilwood might have a package that fits the bill, but I’d still like to hear from any of you that have done an upgrade with either pads or calipers.

Thanks
    Stephen
    I found a set of Brembos from a 2011 GT. Requires 18” rims, but at the last track day I was at I had absolutely no fade. Got them off a car that had been used for jaws of life training. Was $500US.

Not all 18" wheels clear the S197 Brembos. Stephen's Bullitt wheels would not for example.