Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  11

Thread: S550 PP1 Brembo spare wheel solution

S550 PP1 Brembo spare wheel solution

I really appreciated the posts here, I just did the Equus solution for my PP1.

1) Check out kijiji, ebay or car-part.com (all scrap yards connected in North America). I believe 1999-2016 are all the same (19"x4").
    2) I bought mine locally (when you find it grab it!) $75 CDN. The spare tire load rating is actually higher than my stock Pirelli Pzeros, so I know the tire can handle it.
    3) I took the spare and one front PP1 wheel to a local machine shop and he charged me $60 to bore out the centre from 67.1 to 70.5 mm. He measured the bore and matched it, so I am assuming it is 70.5.
    4) I bought the lug nuts and washers from Brandsport. They are flat faced where the regular wheels are tapered, you will need these: (I bought 6 in case a problem with one)
    https://www.brandsport.com/grla-79914.html
    https://www.brandsport.com/grla-73148.html

5) The OEM lug nuts have 10.5 turns to fully seat and the Gorilla flat ones are about 17 so there is lots of thread engagement.
    6) I bought a collapsable ratchet and you can easily get off the stock lug nuts off AND torque the flat ones to 140 ft lbs without much effort with this little tool extended.
    7) There is more clearance on the spare than the OEM wheel and after a quick drive no issues. It is 1.9% smaller than the rear wheel, so your Torsen will be fine (if you need it on the back). Need to try it on the rear wheel next to confirm it is 100%, but don't expect a problem.
    8) For $215 CDN I have a fully functional spare. It does fit into the spare wheel well with a small squeeze and the floor carpet fits almost nearly flat as if it wasn't there, maybe 1/4" raised. Can't really tell.
    9) You'll need a 21mm socket for your OEM wheels and a 22mm for these gorilla lugs. My collapsable ratchet came with 4 sizes of sockets (2 per side and you flip it around, pretty trick).
    10) The jack is not the greatest, I think I will find a metal plate so that I can use that jack to jack up the plastic pinch weld adapter, though the jack is designed to fit into the pinch weld, but I think it will end up damaging the paint under the car. Any ideas would be appreciated...

Got the idea from a few posts at m6g... woot!
    IMG_4865.JPGIMG_4866.JPGIMG_4867.JPGIMG_4868.JPGIMG_4869.JPG