Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  9

Thread: First Oil Change on the Boss 302

First Oil Change on the Boss 302

Another benefit I didn't realize until I moved out here....my Son-In-Laws father who lives next store to him.....has a lift!!

Now onto my story. I've done my own oil changes on my vehicles for as long as I can remember. Yesterday when I did the 1st change on my new to me Boss 302, I had something happen that I've never experienced before. I opened the oil fill cap as normal, raised the car and then removed the oil pan drain bolt and let the oil empty. I then moved to remove the oil filter (without putting the oil pan drain bolt back on). To my surprise, when I released the oil filter, not only did the oil start leaking from it (normal), but a whole bunch more oil came spewing out the oil pan!! Nice mess on the floor because I didn't have two catch receptacles in place.

Every time I'd done oil changes before, I'd always secured the oil pan drain bolt BEFORE moving to remove the filter, so never ran into this.....

So now I have to wonder, did a bunch of dirty oil remain in the system of my previous cars unknowingly because I always secured the oil pan drain bolt before removing the old filter??

I’ve never had that happen before, but maybe there was oil in the oil pump that drained out once you removed the oil filter?

Either way, a little “old” oil isn’t going to hurt anything. If you are that OCD about it, I might suggest draining all your hydraulic lifters at every oil change.
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    I’ve never had that happen before, but maybe there was oil in the oil pump that drained out once you removed the oil filter?

Either way, a little “old” oil isn’t going to hurt anything. If you are that OCD about it, I might suggest draining all your hydraulic lifters at every oil change.
    Nope, not that OCD, just curious where all that extra oil drained back from, and yah, pretty sure it's correlated to releasing the oil filter. Next time I change the oil, think I'll setup two oil catch containers. She took 8.2L of fresh oil (new filter empty when installed)

Since I now have access to a lift, I'm on the hunt now for one of these....

Waste Oil Drain.jpg

Probably because the Boss has an oil cooler, may have some reserve that was trapped until the filter was loosened.