Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Deck waterproofing/stain?

Club Supporter

Deck waterproofing/stain?

We applied waterproofing/stain to our deck in 2019 and it looks like there's nothing there now so we're going to do another application soon. Was in at Benjamin Moore on the weekend and they were recommending this Sico ProLuxe stuff (made by PPG) but it's $130/gallon (we'd need 2-3 gallons) - twice the price of those most expensive product we saw at Home Depot which topped out at $65/gallon.

The Sico stuff is still a 2-coat application but I'm not sure the longevity of it is any better than the Behr or Olympic (PPG) stains at Home Depot which indicate anywhere from 3-10 years (depending on a bunch of factors, etc).

Anyone use this stuff in the past or had good experience with other products that lasted a few years after application?

IMG_8036.jpg

Every deck myself and my grandfather built we put Sikkens Cetol SRD on. Sikkens is now Sico. I really really really love their products from an ease of use and longevity standpoint. The SRD is a one coat application, I've normally gotten 3 years out of a coat before it looks weathered, but I didnt feel pressured to wash and recoat until year 4 on mine. Obviously conditions play a huge role in that (sunlight exposure and weather).

Personally I love the Sikkens/Sico stuff for PT decks and won't use anything else. The Cetol stuff is pretty great IMO, single coat application once prepped properly and once its on if you go every 3 years its deck wash and scrub then apply a new coat. My deck is about 750sf and its a weekend project every 3-4 years as stated and I've never had an issue with the product not adhering or reacting strangely. I bought some of the new Sico branded Cetol stuff this year actually to do some new railings and new planter I added to match, I think it was only like $65-75 for the 3.78L can. I'll confirm on my lunch hour if you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Every deck myself and my grandfather built we put Sikkens Cetol SRD on. Sikkens is now Sico. I really really really love their products from an ease of use and longevity standpoint. The SRD is a one coat application, I've normally gotten 3 years out of a coat before it looks weathered, but I didnt feel pressured to wash and recoat until year 4 on mine. Obviously conditions play a huge role in that (sunlight exposure and weather).

Personally I love the Sikkens/Sico stuff for PT decks and won't use anything else. The Cetol stuff is pretty great IMO, single coat application once prepped properly and once its on if you go every 3 years its deck wash and scrub then apply a new coat. My deck is about 750sf and its a weekend project every 3-4 years as stated and I've never had an issue with the product not adhering or reacting strangely. I bought some of the new Sico branded Cetol stuff this year actually to do some new railings and new planter I added to match, I think it was only like $65-75 for the 3.78L can. I'll confirm on my lunch hour if you want.
    Thanks - maybe the CETOL product is a different one? They mentioned a one coat product but then recommended this one saying it's more durable with the 2-coat process that it uses. From online ratings I see, it's seems just average (just the ProLuxe 2-coat version, not the CETOL version) so I'm not sure why the pricing is $130/can.

Cetol is a different product from Proluxe I believe.

Best product for staining pressure treated is "Cutek". I don't sell it, but I think DeckMasters(Highway 27 north of #9) does
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert

Cutek is awesome stuff but I hear it's not ideal for high traffic areas (great for non walked on areas).

Few years back, did full prep etc on small section of my deck rails, tried two different highly rated products, year later not much left of either one.

Looking for the product to use on the side of the house. Split log. Need to be cleaned and re coated.

Probably next years project.

For decades I reccomended Sikkins. A professional deck builder magazine I subscribe to did a side by side 5 year outdoor test of a dozen stains. Cutek was the best. So now i suggest that.

I tried staining as a service years ago, but it was way more trouble than it's worth. So now I don't bother.

For pressure treated wood the simplest thing is just put a sealer on it and every 3-5 years pressure wash and re-seal.
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    For decades I reccomended Sikkins. A professional deck builder magazine I subscribe to did a side by side 5 year outdoor test of a dozen stains. Cutek was the best. So now i suggest that.

I tried staining as a service years ago, but it was way more trouble than it's worth. So now I don't bother.

For pressure treated wood the simplest thing is just put a sealer on it and every 3-5 years pressure wash and re-seal.
    The main thing I like about Sikkens/Sico is not having to pressure wash and deal with potentially tiger striping or carving up the wood. Deck was with a stiff bristle brush and let dry for 48. In all honesty in our region with a full 4 season experience you're fortunate to get over 3 years out of any coating/sealing product. If committing to a couple weekends every two to three years to do the full maintenance and coating is more headache than its worth you got to weight the options of outsourcing the coating or ripping up the PT, adding framing and doing composite boards as a final solution.

We recently started to get in to doing decorative outdoor Membranes, which are another final solution type system. It's interesting solution, we're doing them more as a solution for balconies and porches but the company has said many people put them down over old PT decks as well.