Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Styrofoam04's TMP Experience

Styrofoam04's TMP Experience

First I’d like to start off my thanking everyone who set up the even and those that helped me out, whether it was at the track or on the forums.

I couldn’t sleep the night before, too excited and worried. So I watched some TMP videos of members. Some were soo slow that I fell asleep … haha just kidding. They were really helpful.

I had the day planned out. I’d sit shotgun in a few rides and learn what I can. Then have someone in my car sitting shotgun to guide me... then go on my own.

I got there pretty nervous and worried about messing up on the track. Matt was the first person I asked to ride shotgun, mostly because I wanted a ride in the mach1. It was a big mistake! Espically for my nerves lol. Matt drives hard and fast…He is very good! I was flying all over the place… and so was my stomach! I felt sick! And started thinking that this wasn’t for me.

After watching team yellow do their thing. I felt a little better. I asked Don if he’d ride in my car. He agreed but he was just about to head out himself. He offered shotgun so I grabbed my helmet and jumped in. I always wanted to ride in his car too.. I think he spent more on the suspension on his car then the whole Garage of Doom! Lol

Again I was thrown around and felt sick, but there was no time for that. It’s my turn to get behind the wheel.

Don riding shotgun. Warning me not to gun it like the ¼ mile when the marshal gives the go. That is a big rookie mistake. He showed me when to break and when to turn. I did my first lap and my stomach was fine. Turns out it’s just a passenger thing. So I got more confidence and went alot faster thus ended with us flying off the track. I went into turn 3 way too fast, eventually I learned that this turn sets you up for turns 4 and 5. Because i was to fast we were pushed out wide and on turn 5 it was just too far out. My first instinct was to try to save… but I resisted! The front right tire went off the track and … Bang!! We hit something hard! Pothole, curb, no idea but it was hard!
    We stopped on the grass, don asked if I was okay. Then told me to slowly go on the track and stay off the lines. I put it in first gear and nothing… engine revving but no movement. Both of us thought the car was f**ked! I dropped the tranny or something!
    But it was nothing like that. We were just stuck in the mud. Lol

We got out eventually and pitted. We checked the car out and cleaned it up a bit. Aaaaannnnd we were back on the track. I made many mistakes and hopefully learned from them.

Don then introduced me to Brad. And Brad is awesome! No offence to everyone else who helped me, but Brad is awesome! He taught me a lot! Exactly when to break, to shift. Turn late here, cheat here, look for this and that. I improved a lot! And I also got a ride in his fox…Sooo smooth. Like night and day.

Next up was to drive without help. Not much to say here except that I felt I got better and better each lap. I felt like I was hitting the lines better and braking harder. I was passed by everyone lol! but I thought I did pretty good for a stock New Edge.
    At one point almost passed the white cobra on his cool down. My uncle was “look you’re going to pass some one!... oh he’s pitting.”
    It happened a second time, same car, and he was like “ ha, you’re going to pass him this time!” But he was pitting again.
    To make me feel better he said something like “He’s pitting because he doesn't want you to pass him. Lol”

Overall I had a great time and can’t wait for the next event. I’m very happy with the way the car handled. She feels better now somehow…or its just me. I got a pretty bad sunburn on my Fivehead and had to explain that to work. Especially since I was supposed to be sick. Lol no worries tho, told a doozy of a tale. cough, cough.
    I also realized that my stomach doesn't like being a passenger, but loves being a driver!

My favorite turns are 13 and 14. Doing that on one turn is a blast! And the squeal! Runner up is turn 7. I read ahead of time to take that one really late from members of the forum. (I think it was Don?) So I did that from the getgo. I also like the chicane and the turn after.

I had my uncle film the event but, his camera work needs improvment. I have alot of footage of grass. When he was shotgun I got some pretty nice videos of my dash. I'll see what I can get out of it.

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by Styrofoam04; 05-29-2014 at 02:06 PM.
    Joel,

Congrats on your first time out. It's very addictivie isn't it?

Congrats and great write up! I felt extremely nervous my first time out as well. There are a great bunch of guys that go to these track days, and they are always willing to lend a hand or provide advice.
    Also not a very good passenger either. Totally know what that feels like.
    ~Scott B

99chromegt
    Great write up. It's funny how going into this we had the same plan. Riding shotgun etc... Once I saw that novice flag go up I hadn't lined anything up so I just headed out on the track solo. Now that I'm hooked like you, I will get some coaching so I can push it after the car is tuned and setup better. Great to read about your experience. Hope to see you at the track again.
    Cheers
    Andrew

Thanks, I was good to quickly meet you. I kept walking by your car but u were never there lol then you and ur car was gone. lol.

Edit: I'm really glad I followed my game plan. I prolly would have seen alot more Grass
    Joel,

CanadianDrPhil
    I was just coming to turn 2 when I spotted your car in the mud. Now I know who it was lol. Thats ok. We are glad you had a great time!

Sent from my mind via Jedi Mind Trick

Glad you had a great day. Sorry about your stomache. maybe next track day I will offer gravol as a pre-flight snack for passengers. and sorry I couldn't help more. I was intending to give a running commentary but it was my first time out with the new setup and so I was learning myself! next time I'll be much more helpful.
    BECAUSE RACECAR

LOL no worries, It was your first lap of the day. your car has tonss of power! both stopping and going! wouldn't have had it any other way. I think I just don't like being a passenger! loved the ride tho. Don showed me a trick to stay in place as a passenger and it works. Would love another ride in the Mach1 next time I'll try his trick

How did you like your new setup?
    Joel,

A cheap little gizmo to keep the driver in his/her seat: http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html
    Well worth it IMO.
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by Styrofoam04 View Post
    LOL no worries, It was your first lap of the day. your car has tonss of power! both stopping and going! wouldn't have had it any other way. I think I just don't like being a passenger! loved the ride tho. Don showed me a trick to stay in place as a passenger and it works. Would love another ride in the Mach1 next time I'll try his trick

How did you like your new setup?
    I love the feel of the car now! but it took some getting used to. after nearly 15 years of lapping in mustangs (mostly foxbodies) this car really feels a lot different with the torque arm and coilovers.