Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  28

Thread: Well Who Is This Guy Posting...looking for an alternator suggestion. :)

Well Who Is This Guy Posting...looking for an alternator suggestion. :)

I feel like I have not been on this site for years.......I am sure many of you guys must think I fell off the face of the earth. Life got busy, family health issues popped up, car just sat other than the odd drive, volunteering with minor baseball, managing the Muskoka Lakes Snowmobile Club.... I have driven it so little it is likely due for an oil change this fall, seeing as it has been 3 years and 4000kms...haha. And we just officially moved to Muskoka, closing on Friday.

That being said, it was nothing personal guys, life just got to busy.

Anyone have suggestions on a reputable new alternator for the 2007 4.6? I changed it out two years ago with a reman from a local shop, and never had problems with them, but the bearing on the reman on my truck went this year and now the the bearing on the one in the Mustang is whining. I think my guy is using Chinese bearings now. I called the dealer to just order a new FOMOCO alternator and they are backordered with no idea of when they can get.

Just looking for recommendations from you guys. Would like to get rid of the whine before this thing lets me down or it breaks down on the way to storage.

Steve.

Steve, the Ford reman alternator is available to order, but would take a few weeks to arrive. It's not back ordered, but is classed as a "buy on demand" part which means that when a dealer places an order for one, Ford Canada refers the order to the authorized vendor in the USA who does the remanufacturing on the alternators and starters. They seem to be doing that with some of the older low volume alternator and starter applications, not stocked in any warehouses. For what it's worth, Hanna Motors in Collingwood is showing that they have one on hand possibly, but it could be reserved for a customer ... maybe worth a phone call.
    Kennedy Ford SVT - Oakville
    www.kennedyford.ca
    main line 905-845-1646
    parts line 905-845-1111

Welcome back Steve and congrats on the up coming move.

Hi Steve, see your club posts on FB.
    I'm also a fan of the Ford reman alt's, seem to be well done n to date problem free.

I had these guys in Newmarket rebuild the original on my 06. Trouble free after that.

http://www.kpautoelectric.com

KP did about 4 rebuilds on mine , I believe Rick my have assisted him in figuring out there was an inferior resistor being used and he may have corrected it .

I remember that well John. Yes it turned out to be the catalog was wrong, had them using an incorrect part which saw them repeatedly fail.
    If Ford unit is not available in your time frame, we deal directly with a local alt / starter shop, product he turns out has been exceptionally reliable.
    As for your seeing premature failures, in each case are the batt's in top shape? With big amps todays alt produce, does't take but a half pooched battery where alt is always working hard n producing big heat to see service life cut dramatically.