Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  48
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forscan and SCTX4 tuner hesitation issue

Forscan and SCTX4 tuner hesitation issue

Last night I had a buddy of mine adjust the tire size on my Gt with Forscan. After the change the speedo was dead on but it now has a stumble/hesitation when driving aggressively.

I did some research and found this post on forscan.org

“…Forscan makes vehicle option changes.
    Tuners change the engine/transmission calibration.

There is one area they overlap, final gear ratio and tire sizes, AKA the VID block info.Here is why:

The tune has the option to use the VID block gear ratio/tire size, OR those can be specified in the tune itself. But here is the catch: it is one or the other. So if your tuner is setup to use gear ratio from the tune, you MUST adjust it from the hand held device or tuning software.

If your tune setup to use the VID block, you MUST use Forscan or IDS to calibrate the speedometer for gear and/or tire size changes. Its is one or the other.

I have stopped using my SCT x4 to calibrate my speedo, as it requires a reflash (takes long lol) I now have my tune setup to use the VID block data. It takes about 30 seconds to make a tire size change w/Forscan. And since it is not a reflash of the PCM, there is no chance of bricking my PCM for a tire size change.”

So it looks like this may be the route of the issue. I am going to restore my tire code to stock to see if this alleviates the condition. If so, here is my question. Can a Dyno tuner like Diego adjust for my tire size using my SCTX4 instead? Also, should I flash the tune back to stock or just leave as it was and just restore the tire code with forscan?
    FABMAN

Best to call him to discuss and quit driving until it's running properly.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Best to call him to discuss and quit driving until it's running properly.
    Spoke with Diago today and booked an appointment for the 23rd. On his advice we will restore the tire size code tomorrow to see if drivability comes back. Then I will allow him to tune for tire variance at my dyno appointment.

Hoping it lays down some really stout numbers…

Here’s the next question, keep the tune for 91 or move up to a 93 tune. I am not worried about the minor fuel cost difference just want the best blend of performance and drivability.
    FABMAN

If it was mine, all in brother.

Happy to report that we restored the tire code and the car has returned to normal.

Hoping Diago can work his magic and also adjust for the tire size in the custom tune so my speedo reads accurately again. Will update after my appointment on the 23rd.
    FABMAN

93 all the way

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'

So update to this thread.

SCTX4 cannot adjust for tire size on the S550 Mustangs as the tire size resides in the BCM. So there is a very good thread on Mustang 6g that explains the process.

Here is the thread:https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/thr...equired.67564/

For those of you who don’t want to read 11 pages of notes I can basically pick some parts of the thread and sum it up here but for complete instructions read the first page or two of the M6g thread.

You will need a laptop running Windows, the free FORScan software with a free extended license, and some sort of ODB reader that works with FORScan and plugs into the laptop.

For 2015-2019 Mustangs, Ford programs the tire size of the car on BCM line 726-12-01 in the second four-digit block of hex.

For 2020+ Mustangs, it's split between 726-15-01 and 726-15-02 as described in the original thread. It's stored as the nominal circumference of the driven wheel in millimeters with a revs/mile conversion factor of 96.7%.

Spart at M6g even provided a calculator to help you find the correct value.

You WILL get a non-MIL DTC P160A (Control Module Vehicle Options Reconfiguration Error) when you change this in the PCM. What you want to do is go into the computer-chip-looking tab in FORScan where you normally edit as-built. At the top, you'll see a new function for the PCM - "Module initialization/relearn vehicle data“.

Once you do this PCM relearn, codes will be cleared. Take for a spin and rescan for DTCS and you should be good. This all sounds far more difficult than it really is. It’s actually pretty straightforward.

Again, I do not take any credit for this information as it was all provided by Spart at M6g.

Here is the catch though (from my experience)…if running a stock tune the car is happy, speedometer is accurate and all is well. Load a custom tune that tries to account for tire size and it appears drivability issues return.

I will be back with Diogo (who has been great by the way) in the spring to find the fix for this as we have simply run out of season and he is moving locations.

Wanted to share with the TMC in case any other S550 owners here go down this path.
    Last edited by FABMAN; 11-10-2021 at 11:23 AM.
    FABMAN

Great info, thanks for posting Fab.

How far off is the speedo/odo reading if you don't adjust for tire size in the custom tune?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen06GT View Post
    How far off is the speedo/odo reading if you don't adjust for tire size in the custom tune?
    Speedo is off by 3.6% too fast. So it is essentially adding some "ghost mileage" to the Odo when not adjusted. In current state the car is dead on for speedo (GPS verified over a couple of apps and verified on the dyno as well).
    FABMAN