Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  41
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Catch Can for Direct Injection Engine

Oil Catch Can for Direct Injection Engine

As many know the down side of direct injection is severe carbon fouling of the intake ports and valves, leading to possible issues down the road. I've been reading that adding an oil catch can help alleviate this carbon issue. Would installing a catch can be a good idea? Vehicle in question is a 2016 Santa Fe, with plans to keep it as long as possible. Rick, I would love to hear your thoughts on this, as we own identical vehicles.

Thanks!

Yes bought a '16 Sante for Kath this past spring. As per the norm, difference we are seeing after dumping the factory suggested oil grade / oil change interval is a bunch. In other vehicles we've been testing / monitoring, change in intervals and oil grade has reduced oil accumulation in catch cans from substantial to trace only (2.7 EB / Coyote / Ram Hemi etc). If you install a catch can, would be interested in your results both with factory suggested grade and interval then dropping to 5k on full syn 10w30.
    If you go catch can route, be sure to find one that does not use loose steel wool. Far too many learn the hard way when a piece of wire breaks off and gets sucked through the intake.
    As for the SantaFe itself, never seen Kath so happy with a vehicle. Know she's going to enjoy heated seats n steering wheel over the winter, pano / sun roof gets lots of use as well. Opted for remote start unit from 12v Solutions in the US as it retains the factory key fob (installing soon, it's a 100% plug and play with no programming required). Only downside, they are so popular made a mostly loaded / low miler (ok add priced right cause I'm thrifty) really hard to find but was worth the effort.

I got a knockoff of the Mishimoto catch can from Amazon. Like 1/4 the price of the Mishimoto. Installed on the Accord. Using same grade oil 0W20 and same 8k interval, the can was half full. Last year I did Seafoam in the gas tank, engine and throttle cleaner when installed the catch can. I find the car runs better and has more pull now. I can get the tires to squeal upon take off more often now. Never did that before I did the Seafoam and catch can.
    2014 V6 MT Club of America
    IG: xeninworx

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Yes bought a '16 Sante for Kath this past spring. As per the norm, difference we are seeing after dumping the factory suggested oil grade / oil change interval is a bunch. In other vehicles we've been testing / monitoring, change in intervals and oil grade has reduced oil accumulation in catch cans from substantial to trace only (2.7 EB / Coyote / Ram Hemi etc). If you install a catch can, would be interested in your results both with factory suggested grade and interval then dropping to 5k on full syn 10w30.
    If you go catch can route, be sure to find one that does not use loose steel wool. Far too many learn the hard way when a piece of wire breaks off and gets sucked through the intake.
    As for the SantaFe itself, never seen Kath so happy with a vehicle. Know she's going to enjoy heated seats n steering wheel over the winter, pano / sun roof gets lots of use as well. Opted for remote start unit from 12v Solutions in the US as it retains the factory key fob (installing soon, it's a 100% plug and play with no programming required). Only downside, they are so popular made a mostly loaded / low miler (ok add priced right cause I'm thrifty) really hard to find but was worth the effort.
    Thank you for your in-depth reply and tip about the catch can.
    From the get go I've been running full syn 5w30, oil changes are at 3-5K/yearly. I never thought about running 10w30, on the next oil change I will make the switch.
    I'm happy to hear Kath is enjoying her Santa Fe, ours has been a fantastic family hauler. Only thing that doesn't sit well with me is the spontaneous engine failure where mileage is not a factor, I hope that day never comes.

Quote Originally Posted by xeninworx View Post
    I got a knockoff of the Mishimoto catch can from Amazon. Like 1/4 the price of the Mishimoto. Installed on the Accord. Using same grade oil 0W20 and same 8k interval, the can was half full. Last year I did Seafoam in the gas tank, engine and throttle cleaner when installed the catch can. I find the car runs better and has more pull now. I can get the tires to squeal upon take off more often now. Never did that before I did the Seafoam and catch can.
    Thanks for the reply. Do you have a link to the catch can? I wouldn't mind checking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Do you have a link to the catch can? I wouldn't mind checking it out.
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It doesn’t come with hoses which was fine. I ended up buying Mishimoto hoses from Amazon as I didn’t want some random cheap hoses.
    2014 V6 MT Club of America
    IG: xeninworx

Combo of 0w20, direct injection and insanely long oil change intervals turns engine oil in to 2 stroke gas.
    See it lots.
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
    Thank you for your in-depth reply and tip about the catch can.
    From the get go I've been running full syn 5w30, oil changes are at 3-5K/yearly. I never thought about running 10w30, on the next oil change I will make the switch.
    I'm happy to hear Kath is enjoying her Santa Fe, ours has been a fantastic family hauler. Only thing that doesn't sit well with me is the spontaneous engine failure where mileage is not a factor, I hope that day never comes.
    I'd think for colder weather, especially if it's around town use only, 5w would serve you well.
    It's sad how many mfg's are seeing premature engine failure or just plain worn out and chugging crazy amounts of oil. I still think it's more oil n interval related vs what peeps think as we have number of customers sporting high mileage rides with original engines in vehicles said to be super failure prone. While good maint and correct oil can't save a bad design, no doubt it makes at least decent engines far outlive the vehicle they came in, yes no matter the mileage.

Thanks again Rick!

Quote Originally Posted by 1BAD92LX View Post
    Combo of 0w20, direct injection and insanely long oil change intervals turns engine oil in to 2 stroke gas.
    See it lots.
    Curious, are you finding a lot of what is happening from German vehicles?