Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  15

Thread: electrical question for the experts

electrical question for the experts

back story.

building a shop. currently the main feed to the house is hydro poles down the side of the lane. 3 in total. plus the one at the road. the pole right at the house is broken with a worrying lean. since the new shop is going between the house and the road we have trenched a conduit from the pole at the road to the shop. this is where the meter will now be located, and the main panel which will feed the shop. I will then sub feed the house from the shop. I have also trenched a conduit from the shop to the house.

once i have everything ready I will have hydro come out and remove the old feed on the poles and pull a new feed into the shop. and the one from the shop to the house.

The question.

a main power feed MUST be in a conduit right up to the panel in the house. does the same rule apply if its not a main power feed and its only sub fed from another location? or can i just run the wire from the new entrance location and into the panel with just box connectors and straps?

Thanks

Hopefully someone can help you, way out of my league.

Hydro only supplies to the transformer
    From there its ESA Ontario that calls the shots
    They will inspect what your licenced electriction does

Yes. Only doing what I need to do now to prep
    So I can close the permit for the building. Once I’m ready to start into the electrical I’ll pull the required permits. Probably won’t be till sometime next year

Just want to know if I need to run conduit all the way to the house panel or just threw the wall.

Since I have no electrical in the shop I need to pull a temp wire just to get one or 2 plugs so I can have lights without having extensions cords across the driveway all winter.

Sorry for off topic, got a progress pic on the build itself?

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Sorry for off topic, got a progress pic on the build itself?
    If I get home tomorrow before dark. I’ll get some.

Work just won’t slow down it’s been go go go and then get home and work by work lights.

Getting close to be all closed in.

Almost closed in, win win win.

I think every professionally installed sub panel I've noticed has had the conduit run right to the secondary panel. But I'm very much not a professional electrician.

So you're going to run main panel in garage feeding a sub panel in the house for the house needs is that correct?

If that is the case and the house and garage are detached you need to run it through conduit anywhere the wire is exposed to surface or buried. Then your feeder to the sub panel needs to be in conduit. The feeds from the subpanel once covered by sheetrock of the house you shouldn't need to have it protected anymore.

That's how it was explained to me, not sure if its correct but how it was explained.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    So you're going to run main panel in garage feeding a sub panel in the house for the house needs is that correct?

If that is the case and the house and garage are detached you need to run it through conduit anywhere the wire is exposed to surface or buried. Then your feeder to the sub panel needs to be in conduit. The feeds from the subpanel once covered by sheetrock of the house you shouldn't need to have it protected anymore.

That's how it was explained to me, not sure if its correct but how it was explained.
    Makes sense.

Conduit it is.

Means a small bulk head in the boys room but that’s fine.