Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  58
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying Car Out of Province

Buying Car Out of Province

Anyone have experience with this on a tax and licensing front? If the car is bought out of province does the selling dealer collect all of HST at sale and you show receipt to MTO or do they collect no tax and you pay it all at MTO?

Also do other provinces (lets say Quebec) issue trip permits to drive the car around on or will it need to be transported back and forth to garage for safety (which I believe is needed for registering in province).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Don’t know about tax.

For permit. I don’t recall needing anything but a copy of the ownership. If you have struck a deal prior you could get a permit here with nothing g but a fax copy. Before going out to pick up. (Assuming rules have not changed. It’s been a few years since I have dealt with temp permits.)

Interesting. Thanks. Ideally want to avoid MTO visit twice right now, but good to know. Car would be getting shipped to Windsor not driven.

What did you buy ? Spill the beans lol another newedge ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m not slow, I just like the way your bumper looks

Nothing has been bought. Helping my father purchase a car.

When the province of Qeebec is mentioned with used cars, I was always told to triple check the car with different body experts.
    A lot of wrecks written off are bought out of province at auctions and rewelded together for a new car with proper VINS and proper paper work.
    Just saying good to pay for independent inspections.
    If the price of car is a lot cheaper than market value - buyer beware!!

Quote Originally Posted by redo75 View Post
    When the province of Qeebec is mentioned with used cars, I was always told to triple check the car with different body experts.
    A lot of wrecks written off are bought out of province at auctions and rewelded together for a new car with proper VINS and proper paper work.
    Just saying good to pay for independent inspections.
    If the price of car is a lot cheaper than market value - buyer beware!!
    100% agree in most case. However here its a few year old CPO Porsche at a Porsche dealer with full service history and documentation. Otherwise ya I'd be recommending against Quebec as well.

When I was looking into buying an Aristo from BC I was told by the seller that I would have to pay tax here, as well as there, but it would have been split like it was back in the day. I didn’t end up buying the car though, and the seller wasn’t really a dealer, so much as a JDM importer who sent cars on their way by truck, so I’m not sure this info is all but useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Interesting. Thanks. Ideally want to avoid MTO visit twice right now, but good to know. Car would be getting shipped to Windsor not driven.
    Sorry. Miss read what you were asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    When I was looking into buying an Aristo from BC I was told by the seller that I would have to pay tax here, as well as there, but it would have been split like it was back in the day. I didn’t end up buying the car though, and the seller wasn’t really a dealer, so much as a JDM importer who sent cars on their way by truck, so I’m not sure this info is all but useless.
    Nope the selling dealer actually confirmed that, he will pay the federal portion at dealer and the provincial portion at MTO. Sounded weird to me but I guess that's how it works.