Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GM ECM reflash options?

GM ECM reflash options?

My beater is a 2009 Pontiac torrent. The ECM has been glitchy. So far reseating the connectors has done the trick to get me off the side of the road. After several events it looks like a matter of time before total failure.

RockAuto has refurbs for decent price but I need to send back a core. RA says "local programming required", so it needs a flash. Dealer wants $150 just for a flash. Dealer replacement $580, not sure if that includes a flash.

I went to a local yard and grabbed a few, non worked. So if I have a good one it'll need a flash.

Now my question, is there options for a flash other than the dealer?

We used to be able to “program” a used ecm with our Autel scanner, program is in quotes because we wouldn’t actually program then so much as program the vin so the ecm would communicate with the network of modules and allow operation.
    If you’re wondering if the dealer ecm includes programming then that depends who you called for the quote, if you called the parts dept-no, but if you called service and that price is for the module installed, then yes.

I employed my "call a friend" option. Unlike myself, he's a ligit, licensed mechanic. He said all modules must be programmed now and that he used to be able to do it until GM (and all other manufacturers) stopped selling the appropriate software. I called a dealer and got a quote of $150 just for the programming. My friend said a good used one should be reprogrammable. Google said that once they've been programmed for a particular vehicle a ECM cannot be reprogrammed to another vehicle. I think I'll drive over to a dealer and talk directly to a mechanic. I have 6 I grabbed from a local yard. RA has a refurb for $31 with a core charge of $270. If I need a refurb that'll probably be the way I go. Not a fan of the core charge as I'll surely take a hit on mail, and core refund.

I'm tempted to pop one open for a look. I'm capable of a capacitor swap.

There's a reason I prefer older vehicle with less bells and whistles. I've got 3 perfectly good A9L's

I doubt you’ll be able to speak to a tech, they’ll likely refer you to the manager, asst. mgr, or shop foreman, but if you want to try, go right ahead.
    Those A9Ls are probably worth near $500 each right about now.
    I suppose the first question I should have asked (and the question the dealer will ask) is “what are you trying to fix/why do you think it needs a pcm”?

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    I doubt you’ll be able to speak to a tech, they’ll likely refer you to the manager, asst. mgr, or shop foreman, but if you want to try, go right ahead.
    Those A9Ls are probably worth near $500 each right about now.
    I suppose the first question I should have asked (and the question the dealer will ask) is “what are you trying to fix/why do you think it needs a pcm”?
    Pretty good evidence on the PCM being the issue. Problem normally happens when the vehicle is cold. Apply any kind of load at 70+km/hr and the tranny starts slipping, tach dies, cruise stops Stabilitrac warning alarms. I pop the hood and reseat the two 30 ECM connectors and everything reverts to normal.

So you unplug / plug back in and all is well?
    How you also tried pulling over, shut off for a couple or three minutes, restart and test?

Just a quick search, similar problems have plagued those cars.

Yes to unplug / plug back in and all is well.

No to pull over, shut off and retest.

Now that I think about it though when the problem happened the first time I limped home and it sat for more than 3 minutes while I did my initial troubleshooting. It was only the unplug and replug that gave me temporary relief. I've gotten pretty spry with this and can do the replug in about 2 minutes. I know this is going to strand me and am loathe to spend any more than the minimum on repairs to my beater. Now that I self assess, I'm loathe to spend more than the minimum on most things other than Mustang parts.

To be sure it's the puter vs a connection, next time it quits, pull cable off the battery n give it a minute or two then back on to test.

I assume you've already cleaned all engine / body ground connections (at both ends of all)?