Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  54
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P0172 code

P0172 code

Good morning gents - the coyote in the F has thrown this code P0172 (air fuel related - Lean) the truck is around 95,000 change air filter 5k ago change oil regularly with synthetic - truck seems to run fine but I thought I may be hearing a slight ping at low rpm accelerating - fuel mileage seems ok - was wondering if I should bump up to high test....any thoughts? - I cleared the code and will see what happens but the truck runs fine....?
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    Good morning gents - the coyote in the F has thrown this code P0172 (air fuel related - Lean) the truck is around 95,000 change air filter 5k ago change oil regularly with synthetic - truck seems to run fine but I thought I may be hearing a slight ping at low rpm accelerating - fuel mileage seems ok - was wondering if I should bump up to high test....any thoughts? - I cleared the code and will see what happens but the truck runs fine....?
    Depending on your year of truck, I believe they have an injector issue that might be causing that. My uncle had to get his 2016 5.0 done for a similar issue. And of course out of warranty. It was like 2200$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m not slow, I just like the way your bumper looks

Quote Originally Posted by Zutz2v View Post
    Depending on your year of truck, I believe they have an injector issue that might be causing that. My uncle had to get his 2016 5.0 done for a similar issue. And of course out of warranty. It was like 2200$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    it's a 2019 - I do have an outstanding recall but it is just a battery charge sensor - I still have roughly 5000k on my warranty so I was wondering - The idle is good so I was hoping it wasn't that (16 injectors on this engine) - it could be a number of things but it runs perfect and the fuel economy has not changed - I thought I may be hearing a short ping on acceleration it doesn't happen at higher rpm - I was wondering if the knock sensor could be picking up the noise and adjusting - its saying lean on bank 1 so maybe the O2 - gonna try higher octane to see if the ping will go away....maybe time to sell eh....!!! lol
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

After a quik search on F150.com... and not sure of the year of your truck...

SSM 49050 - 2018-2020 F-150 - 5.0L Flex Fuel - Illuminated MIL With DTCs P0171/P0172/P0174/P0175

Some 2018-2020 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0171, P0172, P0174 and/or P0175. This may be due to incorrect flex-fuel learning, which is often caused by customer refueling habits when adding only small amounts of fuel, the vehicle mislearning of inferred ethanol fuel mixture (FF_INF value) or a component concern. Refer to pinpoint test H in the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Manual for diagnostics and Flex Fuel GSB for additional flex fuel system information and diagnostic tips.

Problem is without the code being currently set, they (at least I can’t) fix it under warranty if there’s a bulletin/recall/software update.
    I would check if anything got stuck in the MAF sensor after the filter change. I’ve seen just a tiny piece of fuzz cause this.
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by Snaketamer View Post
    After a quik search on F150.com... and not sure of the year of your truck...
    interesting - could be the cheap winter fuel maybe I've just noticed the ping lately (if that is what |I'm hearing) says its running lean on Bank 1 hopefully not an injector - I fill it once a week usually close to empty when I fill it
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Quote Originally Posted by 1BAD92LX View Post
    Problem is without the code being currently set, they (at least I can’t) fix it under warranty if there’s a bulletin/recall/software update.
    I would check if anything got stuck in the MAF sensor after the filter change. I’ve seen just a tiny piece of fuzz cause this.
    I never thought of that - thanks - I will have a look
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Along with cleaning MAF, dump full can of SeaFoam in the tank.

Sea foam is magic

I had a misfire on the van that self corrected with a can of sea foam in the tank. A year later the misfire came back and again resolved with a can of seafoam.

I was thinking the seafoam
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd