Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fox ride quality dbl adjust shocks

Best way I can sum up the difference. Last couple of years, we've done several combos where it's a 100% spirited street cruiser with conservative spring rates focused more on ride quality. While Bilsteins provide their usual good but firmish ride and excellent control, with same springs they fall well short of a Koni D/A. Does that make the Bilsteins a bad choice, absolutely not but if the budget will allow the upgrade you'll never regret it.

One thing not mentioned yet, is the Sportline springs. Could be the springs contributing to the harsh ride also.
    I dont think you NEED coil overs to get a good ride. (it does help obviously)
    I'd maybe suggest Bilstiens and MM road and track springs for a best of both worlds?
    Last edited by 1BAD92LX; 03-16-2022 at 08:41 PM.
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

On my 91 Fox 5L I have the Bilstein HDs all around and love them on any surface.

Car has Steeda long frame connectors, MM castor plates, Eibach sport springs and sway bars, Ford racing front control arms MM caster camber plates, K member and strut tower brace as well rear MM lower control arms, Ford Racing upper control arms and MM Panhard bar, finished of with all MM stainless steel brake hoses and fittings to full 2004 Cobra disc brake setup.
    Last edited by Mustang4; 03-17-2022 at 06:31 PM.

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue

in agreement that I run very high spring rates with my DA's

Other options to improve drivability would be rear lower arms
    MM Rack bushings (pretty cheap mod for gain)

MMRLCA-5_LG.jpg
    gdfhd.jpg

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'

Thanks again everyone. Rack bushings are a good suggestion, I’ve already replaced the rear lower control arms.

Since we're talking about a Fox with stock K and control arms - have you replaced the control arm bushings?

Can have the best shocks and springs money can buy but if the foundation is 35 years old it will still ride like a tractor.

Sigh. I got ahead of myself. Car is still in storage but I wanted get a jump on the season. I’d been meaning to pressure test the cooling system (got stuck in traffic last fall and it got really hot) and I have a leak smh

Lost 4-5 psi in 12 hours but also left coolant on the ground. Can’t see where from until I take it out of storage.

I’m assuming I’ll need to throw some money and time at this problem so I’m going to hold off on the suspension upgrade until then.

Your advice has been incredibly valuable and I’ll remember it all when the time comes.

Best get on as early as possible, parts are even more of a bastard to get this year vs last, nothing but backorders.

Resurrected for an update:

I'm now Koni on all 4 corners. Double adjustable front (koni yellow, 8742 1121S) and str.t rear (Koni orange, 8050 1033). Budget wouldn't allow me to go DA all around at this time. I went with this setup for a few reasons: not a lot of dampers seem to be tailor made for the eibach sportlines I have in front, except adjustable. But the str.t are rated for the eibach pro kit I have in rear. The str.t have been said to feel like the adjustable on the softest setting and this car is a cruiser for the time being. And the oranges were on sale!

Honestly so far on the softest setting the car still 'clunks' on road bumps and cracks. Must be the heavy spring rate and perhaps bushings and other things everyone mentioned. Overall I'm happy I did this.

Thanks everyone for all the advice!

Koni_front_copy.jpgKoni_rear_copy.jpg
    Last edited by m_owing; 07-19-2023 at 02:45 PM.