Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At my wits end! Lol

1tuffsvt

At my wits end! Lol

Ok so last year at the end of the season my car started making a noise....sounded like it was time for a new belt and my idler pulleys were pretty much worn down....so I decided to change my pulleys first.....after I changed them start the car up noise is still there....so that's fine ....get a new belt put it in noise is gone....beautiful....put the car away for the season....this year take the car out no problems no noises .....1month later the noise starts coming back....it's driving me nuts....when the car is cold the noise is loud....after about 5 mins if driving it goes away....the noise gets louder as I give it gas ....then quiets down when I take my foot off the gas ....could it be that I need a new belt again? Maybe bearings in my pulleys? Maybe my belt tensioner? Does my boost have anything to do with it? Anyone have this kind of thing happen to them?

Perhaps it would help if you can indicate what kind of noise...scrape, tick, squeal, rubbing?
    Mike

04 GT
    89 LX...bye-bye!!
    67 Cougar x 2...should have kept them!

Did you replace pulleys with OEM or aftermarket? I swapped one out last year (04 Cobra) that blew apart on me with a unit from Thump Racing (Billet Aluminum) and it was extremely noisy (squeaking). It's a beautiful piece but it drove me nuts so replaced with OEM and zero noise. The Thump unit is now an expensive pencil holder

Picture below is of the failed OEM and the Thumper:

Last edited by Nsty04SVT; 06-02-2014 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Pic added
    2024 VW MK8R - Lapis Blue - 6-Speed
    2004 SVT Cobra - Sold
    2004 SVT Lightning - Sold

Seeing it happen often on Cobra's running alum idler pulleys. Odd part, doesn't happen to every one. At one time my jobber had a line of belts that looked like a weave on the backside vs the more common smooth, virtually never squealed. Sux they are no longer available.

1tuffsvt
    at first it sounded like a rubbing noise....it sounds exactly like a belt noise...but now that you guys mention it, it could also be the pulleys.....where would i be able to get a set of oem pulleys?

What about a worn out tensioner?

I bought the Idler Pulley through Napa at the time as I was in a bit of a jam...Ford Part #F65E-19A216-AA (best to check this is for an 04 Cobra)

Best to check as mentioned above could be other things as well...pull the belt off and see if you have any play in your accessories.
    2024 VW MK8R - Lapis Blue - 6-Speed
    2004 SVT Cobra - Sold
    2004 SVT Lightning - Sold

1tuffsvt
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANGWOP View Post
    What about a worn out tensioner?
    This crossed my mind as well

^^^^ My 02 GT was making that squeeling/bad bearing sound, it was a combination of a worn/stretched belt and worn out tensioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Nsty04SVT View Post
    Did you replace pulleys with OEM or aftermarket? I swapped one out last year (04 Cobra) that blew apart on me with a unit from Thump Racing (Billet Aluminum) and it was extremely noisy (squeaking). It's a beautiful piece but it drove me nuts so replaced with OEM and zero noise. The Thump unit is now an expensive pencil holder

Picture below is of the failed OEM and the Thumper:

china perhaps?