Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  13

Thread: 1990's Mustang COBRA Intake ID

1990's Mustang COBRA Intake ID

I purchased a "complete 5.0 HO intake from a Mustang Cobra" in early 2009 from a guy on kijiji.
    This is what the ad stated. Still have a printed copy of the ad.
    Took it apart and it looks like a regular old mustang intake. Not like a Explorer or tubular style and I didn't get a name plate.
    Anybody remember these intakes and if there were any ID marks on it.
    I would not be angry if I was taken just looking to get it verified.
    Unabled to do pics on here, but I will be in T.O. town over next few weeks so could bring it for a showing.
    Thanks.

Easiest way to figure out if it's a regular 5.0 HO part or a Cobra intake would be to look at the port shape between the upper and lower sections.

This is the gasket for a standard intake:

This is for a Cobra / Explorer / GT40 style intake:

Kennedy Ford SVT - Oakville
    www.kennedyford.ca
    main line 905-845-1646
    parts line 905-845-1111

AFAIK - the 90's cobra package was strictly a cosmetic package - with the only exception being the 93 cobra intake. Of which there are many reproductions available. Visually speaking, the easiest way to tell a stock intake apart from a cobra/GT 40 - is the ports between the upper and lower - stock ports are more square in shape - cobra/explorer are round.

The top plate on the intake should also be completely flat and smooth - no inset or removable plate at all.

cobra
    s-l300.jpg

Stock
    100-Ford-1988-Mustang-GT-5L-V8-SFI-Speed-Density-engine.jpg
    Check out my Instagram for more on my build

https://www.instagram.com/my83mustang

^The 93 SVT Cobra had many differences, body, brakes, heads, etc…..The 85-92 Mustang GT “cobra” was just a sticker they put on all Canadian GTs, they were no different than a US GT, or a 5.0 LX car aside from the body. From what I remember they did this to keep the rights to the Cobra name.
    If your intake is smooth, and has oval ports, it’s a regular 5.0 intake, close to worthless. If it’s an actual Cobra intake with staggered, round ports, it’s probably a $1500 piece.

This an original GT 40 intake, notice the tubular runners and the special running horse cover in the engine shot.
    They did not come polished. I had mine polished

DSC_0275 (Large).JPG

DSC_0651.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue

I couldn't delete the 3rd picture with the part number. I think that particular intake was the from the bottom of one of the 93 Cobra intakes I had earlier.

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue

93 Cobra style from Ford Racing

DSC_0307.jpg

DSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg