Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  8
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Inside the corporate dash to buy up dentists’ offices, vet clinics and pharmacies

Club Supporter
    LOL ok...to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    Trust me I won’t be coming to You for any lessons.
    sidebar. Just last week I read Thomas Sowell's "Basic Economics" which is a great read. Available on Audible for easy consumption while driving or during other low mental commitment activities.

Could be useful in this conversation. BTW monopolies and regulations are a couple of many topics covered, in depth.

Well written, easy to consume and comprehend.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLips View Post
    sidebar. Just last week I read Thomas Sowell's "Basic Economics" which is a great read. Available on Audible for easy consumption while driving or during other low mental commitment activities.

Could be useful in this conversation. BTW monopolies and regulations are a couple of many topics covered, in depth.

Well written, easy to consume and comprehend.
    Yeah but he probably used the same make of typewriter as a guy who sat on the same bus as a racist, so disregard everything he said.

I'm not sure what the disagreement is in this thread.

TBH I didn't read the entirety of the opening huge posts and simply commented on what appears to be creation of monopolies.

Is this a pro, anti monopoly thread?

I think the original article is interesting. Could be topic for interesting conversation. For people willing to converse.

well since I was commenting I figured I'd better read all of the original posts.

While I don't like monopolies, from what's presented I don't see a subversion of free market capitalism here. What appears to be missing IMO is whether consolidators are benefitting from preferred taxation or regulation not offered to small business.

If there's a level playing field and consolidators are overvaluing and overspending to hoover up all the small businesses that sounds like an opportunity for a small independent to undercut the big guys.

My spidey senses are telling me the taxman and regulators are helping the big guys. Big corporations have money to lobby and grease the wheels. This doesn't feel like the whole story.

Consider Blackrock buying up massive numbers of private homes. Inflation and economic downturn is costing people their homes, Blackrock is buying them up. Who creates inflation? Only governments. Who benefits from the defaults and massive home buying sprees? It's a Scooby Doo mystery.

Bill Gates is buying up massive tracts of farmland, to what end?

I'm running low on tinfoil BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLips View Post
    well since I was commenting I figured I'd better read all of the original posts.

While I don't like monopolies, from what's presented I don't see a subversion of free market capitalism here. What appears to be missing IMO is whether consolidators are benefitting from preferred taxation or regulation not offered to small business.

If there's a level playing field and consolidators are overvaluing and overspending to hoover up all the small businesses that sounds like an opportunity for a small independent to undercut the big guys.

My spidey senses are telling me the taxman and regulators are helping the big guys. Big corporations have money to lobby and grease the wheels. This doesn't feel like the whole story.

Consider Blackrock buying up massive numbers of private homes. Inflation and economic downturn is costing people their homes, Blackrock is buying them up. Who creates inflation? Only governments. Who benefits from the defaults and massive home buying sprees? It's a Scooby Doo mystery.

Bill Gates is buying up massive tracts of farmland, to what end?

I'm running low on tinfoil BTW.
    The common these in most industry’s. Big corporation comes in buys up what competition they can in a given area. Offer big payouts, perks to gain employees, and rock bottom prices. Operate that area at a loss or break even point. Forcing all the smaller businesses around them left to do the same. The crushes the smaller business and puts them out of business. As soon as there is little to no competition left in that area. Prices go up to higher than what they were before.

You are 100% correct that these larger business threw Lobbying and other means have government backing. Look even to recent subsidy programs in the name of green energy. Guidelines to revive or pass on Renaults greatly favour the large corporation.

This is not free market by definition.
    Honestly consumers them selves are to blame for the monster that is.

Cheapes prices possible over decades equals inferior product, lower wages and poor customer service.

I understand the whole process of undercutting prices, buying the competition, cornering the market. Essentially Walmart but in different sectors.

From the consumer perspective, the undercutting consolidation phase should create lower prices.

Once a monopoly is created and prices are raised there should be an opportunity for competition to undercut the monopoly, and again serve lower prices to consumers.

Free market competition should self correct via chasing lowest consumer prices.

If it's not correcting, there is intervention somewhere tipping the scales. Seems pretty obvious that is monopolies are succeeding, there's fishy business going on, what could that be?

I agree that outside forces are keeping the free market from self correcting

But I think the chase for lowest prices is also part of the problem.

Eventually you are going to reach a point where the product can’t be made cheaper. In this case the small store that has to pay a higher wage, has to out source shipping.

when the monopoly’s happens and they control their own supply chain as well as unbelievable control over what they pay the supplier. Yes in alot of cases (if we continue to use big box stores as an example) the big corp essentially tells the supplier what they are willing to pay for product. This act eliminates any smaller companies from being able to compete.

I’m making an assumption. But it reads like the same thing is happening to vet’s dentists and eye drs that has previously happened in hardware stores for example.

I should add. There seems to be the start of a self correction in some cases. In my industry for example. We are seeing more people come back and want to buy a product that’s going to last even if it costs more as well as coming back to smaller stores to gain the true customer service that is knowledge and after point of sale service.

It’s a start but at the same time we also have larger service companies cutting deals directly with the manufactures to gain all of the service contracts. These large service companies then offer the contract to a small third party for a reduced rate. Take one large corp giving preferred service to another large corp and add to that increased government policy, licensing ect

And it’s just another example of the same problem.