Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Inside the corporate dash to buy up dentists’ offices, vet clinics and pharmacies

Club Supporter
    Natural Darwinism in the business ecosystem is part of it, no? Strongest survive and grow and reproduce. Cull the weak and inefficient - This is free market.

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    Natural Darwinism in the business ecosystem is part of it, no? Strongest survive and grow and reproduce. Cull the weak and inefficient - This is free market.
    2 years of regulated closure of small business isn't Darwinism

I’m not surprised to see this in dental or optometry. Since there has been large government movement to socialize these industry’s like healthcare is. Would be windfall profits for anyone owning large groups of these.

Vets on the other hand. Is a bit of a surprise but these venture capital companies only care about making as much money as possible. So if the industry is profitable enough and they can see a large enough profit by buying up major market share then I would not put it past them.

However. What is described in this article. IS NOT CAPITALISM AND IS NOT FREE MARKET!

Claiming so is intellectually dishonest

It’s actual by definition the opposite. This is cronyism and these companies only get away with what they do from major government intervention wether it’s from lobbying, law changing or regulation.

It’s Venture capitalists (deemed “to big to fail”) working with government entities to essentials restrict free market. And make each other rich while doing it. .

I think I’ve seen this episode on Billions
    -Don____________

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLips View Post
    2 years of regulated closure of small business isn't Darwinism
    Like I said before - been seeing this since about 2015 with having to make changes to business agreements as new entities were purchased by the chains so nothing to do with pandemic closures (other than frustration and burnout with people screaming at them because they read science on the interwebs or don't want to wear a mask onsite).

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    I’m not surprised to see this in dental or optometry. Since there has been large government movement to socialize these industry’s like healthcare is. Would be windfall profits for anyone owning large groups of these.

Vets on the other hand. Is a bit of a surprise but these venture capital companies only care about making as much money as possible. So if the industry is profitable enough and they can see a large enough profit by buying up major market share then I would not put it past them.

However. What is described in this article. IS NOT CAPITALISM AND IS NOT FREE MARKET!

Claiming so is intellectually dishonest

It’s actual by definition the opposite. This is cronyism and these companies only get away with what they do from major government intervention wether it’s from lobbying, law changing or regulation.

It’s Venture capitalists (deemed “to big to fail”) working with government entities to essentials restrict free market. And make each other rich while doing it. .
    PE and VC are different things.

So what is capitalism and free market then? If you have cash and want to deploy to maximize your return on investment on that cash (that you made in business) and see an opportunity to make that return due to inefficiencies in the market that could be corrected for profit (eg. fragmentation and margins depressed by ineffective operators, inefficiencies in cost or price management, arbitrage, etc) - what do you call that?

In many of these examples, it's the absence of government that opens a window for these opportunities and they do it (ie. profit maximization) until someone steps in with regulation (which is not free market at that point).

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    I think I’ve seen this episode on Billions
    Yeah, and BNPL is the new thing to replace the high interest credit card lending model....I think they've dabbled with some of these emerging segments too.

Like I said before - been seeing this since about 2015 with having to make changes to business agreements as new entities were purchased by the chains so nothing to do with pandemic closures (other than frustration and burnout with people screaming at them because they read science on the interwebs or don't want to wear a mask onsite).
    does regulated closure of small business while exempting large business help or hurt a move towards monopolies.

PE and VC are different things.

So what is capitalism and free market then? If you have cash and want to deploy to maximize your return on investment on that cash (that you made in business) and see an opportunity to make that return due to inefficiencies in the market that could be corrected for profit (eg. fragmentation and margins depressed by ineffective operators, inefficiencies in cost or price management, arbitrage, etc) - what do you call that?

In many of these examples, it's the absence of government that opens a window for these opportunities and they do it (ie. profit maximization) until someone steps in with regulation (which is not free market at that point).
    Free market capitalism is equal exchange of goods or services.

It isn’t monopoly’s, government subsidies, government investing, government restrictions, or lobbyists.

I think you know that but choose to conflate things.

I won’t get suckered into another one sided argument with a person trying to play gotcha.

The reality is until the consumer stands up and says enough. And stops voting for more government intervention and stops supporting these massive multinational government protected “corporations”

Products will get shittier wages will remain lower and people will keep getting screwed.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    Free market capitalism is equal exchange of goods or services.

It isn’t monopoly’s, government subsidies, government investing, government restrictions, or lobbyists.

I think you know that but choose to conflate things.

I won’t get suckered into another one sided argument with a person trying to play gotcha.

The reality is until the consumer stands up and says enough. And stops voting for more government intervention and stops supporting these massive multinational government protected “corporations”

Products will get shittier wages will remain lower and people will keep getting screwed.
    OK you define it how you "want" to but I don't think that's the established definition in any of the ones I've seen. I agree that it is up to the consumer and/or workers as other stakeholders or resource inputs to determine when they withhold their inputs.

What Does Free Market Capitalism Mean?
    Any economy is capitalist as long as private individuals control the factors of production. A purely capitalist economy is also a free market economy, meaning the law of supply and demand, rather than a central government, regulates production, labor, and the marketplace. Companies sell goods and services at the highest price consumers are willing to pay while workers earn the highest wages companies are willing to pay for their services. The profit motive drives all commerce and forces businesses to operate as efficiently as possible to avoid losing market share to competitors.