Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  26

Thread: Looking for new tires. Read this

Looking for new tires. Read this

I recently was on the hunt for a set of tires for my Mustang. Need a set of 4, square setup. With all the tire shortages etc and the stupid prices it's becoming increasingly difficult to find certain sizes and brands of tires. Well after much shopping I found a set of tires available in 3 days. I bought them and thinking nothing of it I dropped off my wheels and had them installed. Once I got them back home and installed I found even though they were balanced properly ( I trust the shop that did it) I found they would shake terribly above 50 mph. When I got back home I took a closer look and found these brand new tires had a date code of 5016. That's 50th week of 2016. Promptly returned them. Back on the hunt I finally found a good set of Firestones. I had to go to another shop to get them. While I was there he showed me several sets of tires, Various brands from Continental, pirelli etc that were all sent to him as new with date codes varying back to 2014 on the Conti's. He said its a big problem with that shortages going on.

Moral the the long winded story, Check your date codes. Otherwise you may end up with a new set of 8 year old tires on your ride.

Last couple of years, becoming more and more common.

Club Supporter
    You have to wonder where these tires have been sitting? Production continued normally (I think) up until 2020 so not FIFO on a mass scale?

Yup, made sure when I got brand new Blizzaks last year for a good deal, that I checked when they were made.
    2014 V6 MT Club of America
    IG: xeninworx

I've heard this story more than once, look closely at what you buy guys especially tires.
    Barone Performance
    Canada's Online Aftermarket Parts Store

date.jpg

for those who don't know the date on this tire is 2819 and usually always looks like the pic and reads 28th week of 2019
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works