Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Help with old paint resto

Help with old paint resto

I picked up a 94 Toyota truck a few weeks back, it’s original paint but one fender, and appears to have been buffed to death at least once, down to the primer in a few spots (photo 1) The paint is okay overall, but is faded and has some oxidization/white blotches in random spots. Looks like old acrylic paint, but the truck was stored and has not seen winter, so it should be salvageable.
    I need to find some touch-up paint and go after the areas where the paint is missing, but what are my options here? I have an old can of NuFinish in the garage do I did a quick apply on a faded spot (photo 2) and it came out pretty good, so I want to proceed with trying to restore this finish. It will sit outside most of the time, including winter.
    4C4DFA1A-9D4A-484E-9E7C-201873CEFEAB.jpeg08AEB6CB-77D6-4352-BDD2-5B5ACF20A73F.jpeg

If it's old single stage I'd probably attach it with Meg's M105 on a heavy cut, followed by M205 on a polishing. Then top it with a coating of some kind to protect it.

If it's older base/clear then I'd probably go way less aggressive and just start at M105 to preserve what little clear is likely left.

As for the touch ups, you thought of having one of the dealer touch up guys do a spot repair? My best friends old neighbor was Mister Touch Up on Arlington, he's done some miracle work on little jobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

I got some Meg’s compound for it, gonna be all by hand though if I can.
    Also touched it up myself last night, the Toyota touch-up paint for it was way too dark, but I used the touch-up paint that came with my Snap-On toolbox and it matches better-good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    I got some Meg’s compound for it, gonna be all by hand though if I can.
    Also touched it up myself last night, the Toyota touch-up paint for it was way too dark, but I used the touch-up paint that came with my Snap-On toolbox and it matches better-good enough.
    LMK if you wanna borrow my Porter Cable DA, you can get pads for it at Crappy Tire.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Thx for the offer, it going pretty well by hand so far…hood and roof might be a different story, but I have an old Simoniz polisher if it gets really bad, I don’t like using them though, prefer by hand.
    These pics are the same order, not sure why the 1st is sideways

058CC652-F414-4FB0-B044-4568240B8E44.jpg

A7EF4384-2B8B-43B3-8E7E-B9C77C9FF167.jpeg

So stage 1 is complete…for tonight, lol. Did 1 round of compound on the top of the truck, as well as fenders and doors to the middle body line scallop, paint looks good below that.
    Still gotta do the box sides and tailgate, then touch-up and chips I see.
    Tomorrow will be another round of compounding, followed by a coat or two if polish.
    It looks decent after today, paint has great shine, but of course a lot if imperfections under the fluorescent garage lights. The right fender has been painted, and the left one and tailgate appear to have had blend work done. Given that, I will begin casually looking for a pair of 4x4 fenders (slightly wider, will fit the tires better).

90CF6C16-4D5B-4FCB-A9DB-F10D30E9B960.jpg