Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Crankshaft position sensor replacement

Question Crankshaft position sensor replacement

Hi Guys,

Looking at doing this on my 13 Boss 302 as part of the TSB below. Looks like there's more to it then simply replacing the sensor, i.e. you need to perform Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction.

Was thinking I could change the sensor out and then take to either a dealer or another shop to perform it, i.e. car should still be drivable after swapping in new Crank sensor?

Thoughts?

Screenshot 2022-07-28 133117.jpg

Are you currently having an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Are you currently having an issue?
    Off and on....CEL light flashes for about 20 secs. on occasion and goes off. Only once has CEL light stay on (late last season) and when I checked DTCs...it had the P0301, P0303.

Doesn't appear of affect driveability and my car definitely falls under the production date(s) affected.

I figured it's a reasonably cheap fix, so why not try it?

PS> I changed out the plugs about a month or so ago (used stock recommended motorcrafts). Car now has 66000 kms. on it.

Pulled the old sensor today and put a new one in. Definitely quite a difference when it comes to the O-Ring as noted in the TSB. I don't have the tool to do the Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile correction, so will be taking it in to a local shop that specializes in Mustangs and they'll do it for $120.

I had initially booked an appt. with one of the local Ford dealers here, but they wanted $270 to just replace the O-Ring and do the Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile correction. Instead, I bought an OEM Motorcraft CPS off RockAuto.com and replaced it myself. Was a wee bit tricky because it sits between the tranny and the rear of the engine, but with a couple of extensions of my ratchet I managed to get it out and back in without to much trouble.

crank position sensor.jpg

Nicely done, hope it does the trick.