Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bicycle racks (removable) for sedans?

Club Supporter

Bicycle racks (removable) for sedans?

I know there are several cyclists here - curious what you use for removable bicycle racks if you have a sedan? Never got one because I was afraid they would damage the trunk/bumper/paint but with all the options I'm seeing out there on cars now I'm sure there are some that will not(?)

Looking at 2-bike racks. Will be heading to some shops in the next week to check out the options and how they mount, etc.

TIA

Never had one on a sedan but our old suv. I tried one of the “truck/hatch” mounted ones and it sucked cuz when the rack was on you could not open the hatch.

I switched to hitch mounted pretty quickly but I did find that the cheap one I bought first wore the rubber off the frame hook within a year and then started to mark the paint on the bike.

Would probably depend on the quality of the bike your moving around. If it’s a quality bike absolutely look at quality racks from an actual bike dealer

Maybe a roof rack style one would be a viable option.

Not easy getting the bikes up on a roof rack. I would opt for a trailer hitch mount rack.
    -Don____________

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    Never had one on a sedan but our old suv. I tried one of the “truck/hatch” mounted ones and it sucked cuz when the rack was on you could not open the hatch.

I switched to hitch mounted pretty quickly but I did find that the cheap one I bought first wore the rubber off the frame hook within a year and then started to mark the paint on the bike.

Would probably depend on the quality of the bike your moving around. If it’s a quality bike absolutely look at quality racks from an actual bike dealer
    They're not high end bikes - they have been sitting on racks in the garage for several years so want to swap out the rubber/tune them up and start riding again but want to drive to trails and stay off the roads.

I'll look at those trunk mount ones but not sure if they'll damage the car/plastic bumper vs the more involved hitch, when I get to the bike shops.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen06GT View Post
    Maybe a roof rack style one would be a viable option.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Not easy getting the bikes up on a roof rack. I would opt for a trailer hitch mount rack.
    I'd be afraid I'd be one of those who forgets the bikes on top of the car and drive into something.

Roof mount sucks, I used one for a trip and sold it right after I got home, mileage sucked, killed my top-end and was a pain getting the bikes up there. I sold it to a girl with a high-end bike I could lift on there with my pinky finger.
    Strap mounts work but are sketchy with heavy bikes and really limit trunk use, you’re best to get a hitch and proper carrier.

Seen a few accidents where people have forgotten and drove into their garage destroying their bikes and the roof. Also consider the sea sucker if you still want a roof style rack. http://https://www.seasucker.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    I'd be afraid I'd be one of those who forgets the bikes on top of the car and drive into something.

Not that I ride a lot, but have trailer hitch mounted one and its great. Can get at Costco.

I went with a roof mounted one (mounts to the crossbars) mainly for the for the versatility of buying other mounts for it such as kayak cradles, snowboard/ski holders, roof top carrier, etc. I don't find the bikes hard to load at all, there is a technique to it, but it's not difficult to me.
    I do agree with ponyryd about it killing my fuel mileage when I have the bikes on there.