Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter tires - Michelin X-Ice SNOW vs Nokian Hakka R5?

Club Supporter

Winter tires - Michelin X-Ice SNOW vs Nokian Hakka R5?

Current Michelin X-Ice i3 tires on the not-so-daily AWD driver are shot so will be shopping for new winter tires next week (I see winter tires are in short supply in general).

It appears the X-Ice i3 tire have previously been replaced by the X-Ice SNOW tire so not sure what the performance differences are as yet.

Looks like the Nokian Hakkapelitta R5 tire is an option for my car as well based on size/load factor (newer replacement for the R3). 235/45/17 97H (or Y).

Was also looking at the Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 but it appears the winter performance drops off faster on the Blizzaks after the first couple seasons versis the X-Ice or Hakka (R3).

Anyone have any experience/knowledge on these two tire options (Michelin X-Ice SNOW or Nokian Hakka R3/R5)?

Both are quality tires and I doubt the average driver could tell the difference between the two. As you mentioned, winter tires are in short supply, so shopping by price and availability will probably be your deciding factor.

I have had x-ice in the past and felt they were ok. Recently had to buy a new winter setup for my wife’s Acura RDX and went with the Nokian R5. Tires are comfortable and relatively quiet for a snow.

They are an all new design, they have received good reviews on all the research I did. Remember Nokian were the inventors of winter tires, so they always seem to be one of the best choices in that category.
    FABMAN

I had Nokians on my 88 Fox for 2-3 winters. Turned it into the best winter car I've ever had.

Another vote for the Hakkas if you can get them. Although as said, seems like a draw between the two.
    Had Hakkas on my 2WD B3000 (Mazda Ranger), 5-speed, nothing in the box. Worked great for GTA.
    -Don____________

Main difference with the X-Ice Snow compared to the previous gen is improved snow performance, which was the one downside of the old version. Great in other winter conditions, not so good in deeper snow. The Michelins are very smooth and quiet on dry pavement, and are the only winter tires I'm aware of that have a manufacturer mileage rating. Nokian has always had impressive winter products but I'm not familiar with their current offerings. I believe the brand is still exclusive in Ontario to Kal Tire stores.

On a related note, here is a comparison on between Michelin summer, all-season, all-weather, and winter tires in various conditions.

Last edited by fast Ed; 11-20-2022 at 01:18 PM. Reason: add info
    12 GT500 coupe
    Instagram: ed._nicholson
    Your Ford dealer in the west GTA - Kennedy Ford Sales
    www.kennedyford.ca - please use the Kennedy Ford SVT TMC account for parts inquiries

I'm gonna be odd man out on this one. Personally find many of the raved about offerings out there to be mid level when it comes to real world winter driving. Think way too much of the focus has become on driving, feeling and as quiet as a summer / all season vs winter performance.
    Just my 02.

Good point, depends on what you need and where you're driving. If it's mostly in the GTA where the roads will be in decent shape most of the time vs. wanting to make it to the sled trails for example and having to get through some actual accumulation of snow to make it there.

I call most of em, city snow tires.

I like the Blizzaks over the Michelin X-Ice

1991 Mustang 5.0L LX - Titanium Frost CC Metallic, MM Suspension, Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes, Edelbrock heads, polished GT-40 intake, new interior
    2018 Mustang GT - Performance Pack, Magneride, Auto, Forged wheels, Active exhaust, Lightning Blue