Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which truck for towing

Which truck for towing

Wife and I are looking at getting a travel trailer. Somewhere 25-29 ft and ~8000 lbs. Having a hard time deciding what truck to go with. I’ve always loved the Rams but my GM truck loving Dad keeps telling me their garbage for towing, shitty trans apparently. Only truck he buys for towing his trailer are GM 2500’s. I’d love to get a 2500, Duramax or Cummins but the prices are just too far out there for me so probably a 1500.

Looking for some real world opinions from people that tow regularly.

No doubt a 3/4 ton with a diesel is the way to go but a properly equipped 1/2 ton gasser can and will get the job done. As for Ram being crap, die hard GM guy here, currently driving his first Ram (2016 1500 5.7 Laramie) can not say enough times how great this trucks been to own and drive. My previous two GM trucks, oldest one was a gross rotter with terrible brakes but decent reliability, my last one, abysmal piece of shiat from stem to stern.

So I manage a fleet of pickups for work, we run all of the Big 3 and every truck brand has their own issues and problems so brand loyalty isn't all its cracked up to be IMO.

That said 8000lbs is NOT cause to go up to a 3/4 ton especially if the trucks going to be used for daily or commuting use without the trailer semi regularly. 3/4 ton has a sharp spike in both initial price and and cost of maintenance and running over the life of the truck that unless you're hooking 12000+ lbs to the back isn't needed. Modern 1/2 ton trucks when spec'd properly can pull that weight no issue and do it safely. I have put over 8000lbs on the back of my 16' Ram 1500 multiple times and the truck hasn't had an issue at all. The biggest "issue" with the 1500 Rams is the rear coil springs do squat a lot with heavy tongue weights but a set of air bags solves that and IMO is recommended for any truck towing regularly. The 8spd transmission in the 13+ trucks has come a long way from the torqueflite's or 45RFE's from older gens.

This all said a modern GMC or Ford with the proper towing spec's won't do you wrong either. The 3.5 Ecoboost in the Ford's is an absolute UNIT for towing and just pulls hard. Reliability I can't speak to beyond 150,000kms as we cycle them out before that but they do tend to be "slightly" needier than the GMC V8s, with the Hemi being the most "IDGAF" for maintenance. Something to keep in mind when spec'ing what ever you buy is that just because your trailer is rated at 8,000lbs empty doesn't mean that a truck with an 8,000lbs tow rating will suffice. Take in to account the weight of cargo, bikes, canoes, dishware, water holding tanks, etc and you can quickly add on the lbs. Personally I like to keep at least a 2,000lbs buffer between my trucks tow rating and the weight of whatever I'm going to tow with it. Also look in to a good weight distributing hitch that makes a huge difference in how the trailer feels behind you.

One caveat I'll offer to all of the above is if this rig is going to be tow only, no daily use, just a workhorse then it might be worth it to get a 3/4 ton. The feel of the 3/4 with a trailer on is definitely a little more planted than the 1500s and I can't count the number of people I know who thought a smaller trailer was all they needed only to end up loving the RV life and swapping to a bigger trailer after only a few years and in turn a bigger tow rig. 3/4's cost more to get in to but generally hold resale better as well. If you're not hauling commercial I wouldn't bother with the Diesels, modern big gasser engines have all the power you need (6.4 hemi, 7.3 godzilla, 6.6 gmc v8) without the absolute nightmare that is modern diesel emissions and the cost associated with running a diesel. Fuel will be a bear, but you'll have saved $8000 off the hop on the sticker price plus servicing costs so unless you're doing 200-300k kms its a wash IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Thanks for the in depth responses guys. The 8000ish pounds is loaded. The dry weight for ones we’re looking at are ~6500 lbs. Truck would be used for towing most weekends through spring/summer/fall. It would be replacing our van (2017 with 58k on it) and the truck would see the same amount of daily use. We have family out west and east so we’d be heading out there a lot more as well. Mostly why I’m even considering a 2500…plus I’m a sucker for a big loud diesel lol.

Found a 2015 F250 diesel out in Regina, 182k km’s which is a little more than I would like even though that’s just getting warmed up for a diesel. Decent price too plus whatever deal my dad would be able to get added on as well makes it more intriguing. Tough call these days with gas/diesel prices.

Watch out for oil field region diesels. Some trucks may "only" have sub 200k kms but the engine hours from sitting on site are akin to trucks that have done 2x that. Idling that much is hard on the modern diesels with DPF/DEF equipment. Also the notion that modern light diesels are still million mile motors is a bit antiquated thinking, emissions really hurts the longevity of these engines in suburban environments. Sure the block and head are built for the long haul but all the sensors, high pressure fuel system and other electronic crap are EXPENSIVE and do break. The last "great" consumer truck diesels were the 5.9 Cummins (ended 06.5) and the LBZ Duramax (07) which was mostly due to their lack of emissions systems and electronic complexity. The 7.3 I omitted because it end in 2003 and the trucks still had leaf spring front suspensions which is something I don't wish on my worst enemy. However all those trucks now have a cult like following and guys want 30k + for them with 350k kms on the clock, rusted out rockers and interiors that appear to have had a family of racoons living in it. If you do find a clean one they want as much money if not more than a new VERY well equipped 1500 or a good 2500 Gas both of which eclipse those trucks in every measurable category aside from makes black smoke and turbo whistle.

Also if it's ex-fleet truck don't think that means it's maintained, a lot of fleet companies run bare minimum approvals on key maintenance items for those trucks like Fuel/Water filters, oil change intervals, etc. If it's a private owner ask for maintenance records, when was the last time the filters were changed, what fuel treatments do they run if any. If they can't answer WALK. For reference we had 6.7 PS with a CP4 (injection pump) that failed due to contamination and also took out a few injectors. Was a $7,000 fix to get it back up and running. Shop told us even if the filters had been done religiously the CP4 still fails on these because the modern ultra low sulfur diesel doesn't keep them lubricated enough and eventually they all fail. Running a fuel additive like Hot Shots Secret helps, as does swapping to an aftermarket filtration system like an Air Dog or a FASS with good quality filters.

I really implore you to look at the running costs associated with diesels before jumping in to one. I get the appeal, I LOVE diesels myself but you have to know the downsides so you go in and don't go broke. Also if it's from out west, make sure the emissions are in-tact before trying to bring it back to Ontario. The cost to "un-delete" a truck is eyewatering, but pales in comparison to the fines and trouble the MOE and MTO can give you.

Thanks for all the help Laffs. All I’ve known about diesels are older Duramax’s. I hear what your saying about the cult following on them. Found some nicely equipped gassers as well, 15/2500, so may have to give those a more serious look. Just have to swallow the cost of gas while towing.

Some of the best trucks we have in terms of taking absolute shit kicking from multiple drivers, pulling their weight (and then some), and still just shrugging it off and moving forward are our 15 to 16 GMC 2500's with the 6.0. The one I have as my work truck right now has needed brakes, tires, and the trailer harness fix at 90,000kms with 120 on it now. Also there was a seat belt recall I think on it. May be anecdotal but the 16's seems to be the last head ache free GMC 3/4s. Every one we've had since then has had some electrical gremlins, major front end vibration or alignment problem, or felt like it was built at night, in the dark, with tools made from stone.

According to my fleet dashboard average fuel econ for one of the 6.0 GM's picked out of the fleet in severe duty (it's either pulling a trailer or idling on a job site) is 22L/100km on the year. So for 10,000km of driving @ $1.68L I'm spending $3,696 in fuel. The 6.7 PSD we have is currently at 17.5L/100km (slightly different conditions but for arguments sake) so with diesel at about $1.81L right now that's $3,167 for the same distance. The PSD was about $8,000 or so more in up front cost than the gasser GM, so at around 200,000 KM's of driving the diesel will start to have "saved" money over the gasser. Which if you do hot-shot work or really pound miles on them means something but we sell trucks at 150,000kms soooooooooo yeah. Only reason we have the diesel is gooseneck/5th wheel capacity. All the 2500s seem to have a bumper pull max of 14,000lbs or so gas or diesel, but the diesels with a gooseneck can do 20-28k lbs in that capacity. We had a large float gooseneck that was only ever hooked to the PSD that has since been sold for an air brake float, the PSD when it hits it mileage cap will be sold for a gasser as well.

I love diesels, always have always will. I definitely see what your saying about them in this day and age. Especially with the emissions crap and diesel prices now, pretty much dead even on pricing unless keeping it for a decade. I’ll keep on looking through my Dad’s contact for something. The 2500 gasser is definitely near the top of the list now if I can find one with the options my wife wants.

I’m finding it hard to beat the 1500 Rams for options and price point right now though.

No complaints with mine, but ya I still spend hours looking at Duramax's and Cummins for sale ads thinking "what if"

My current 1500 Hemi Ram 8 spd, by far best truck I've ever owned.