Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2V Valve Cover Gaskets - Won't Seal

2V Valve Cover Gaskets - Won't Seal

So had a VC gasket leak last year, swapped to new Fel-Pro blues, black gasket maker on the timing cover to head joint, install was as basic as it gets. Ever since then I get a small smell of burning oil on startup, looked the other day and it appeared to be a small leak from back corner of the drivers gasket. Pulled all the bolts, made sure gasket was set in the channel, tightened back down and the smell lessened but still present.

Any hints or tricks with these? Should I be replacing the valve cover hardware grommets as well since they might have compressed over time?
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Yes grommets at the top should be done as well.
    When cover is off, check the gasket sealing edge is facing straight down, not curled (super common).

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Yes grommets at the top should be done as well.
    When cover is off, check the gasket sealing edge is facing straight down, not curled (super common).
    Thanks ZR. Im going to order another set of Fel Pros (dont like reusing after they’ve been rtv’d) and new grommets this go around and retry. It was a BITCH to get them seated last time, almost like the gasket was too big

Seeing the same out of Fel Pro modular gaskets, almost fit. Suspect some are mfg by someone else. Best fit, OE Ford or Mahle brand (they make at least some OE Ford gsks), also sell as a full kit with all seals (Rock Auto). Silicone, our tried n true Permatex blk silicone we've used for ever is not longer any good. Even in smaller smears, not curing properly, not bonding. Just switched over to The Right Stuff. Pisses me off to no end when they screw with a tried n true product, our previous go to was Ultra blk until it was no longer any good. Right Stuff is a fair bit more money (percentage wise) but so long as it works, small price to pay for no leaks.

Noted on all accounts, def used ultra black last go around as well.

Mahle gasket seemed to fit more decent for sure. Less fighting with it anyway. Driverside is drying now. May give passenger a crack after dinner. .

^ Good deal.

Nothing ever easy. Go to do passenger side, first off can't find my rail disconnect tools so either I loaded that out and forgot or who knows. The wire to one of the ignition capacitors mounted on front of engine was so brittle is snapped when I moved it. De-pinned and re-soldered a new wire on that one. One coil has a broken hold down tab so epoxy that back together. Now thinking I need to go through and re-tape/loom this harness as its all getting aged. Also need to see if I can replace the brass insert that hold down the coils some are getting questionable. Snowball...

^ Happens to all of us.

The disconnect tool was sitting on peg board on front of car. Neat