Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  40

Thread: My 1969 Mach 1

My 1969 Mach 1

Many of you have been bored by stories of my 1969 Mach 1 428

This may be the final one.

I bought it in 1987 for a mere $8000. It was already rough and was sporting a bad paint job and lots of bondo but it had an original 428 CJ with the drag pack option. I was in love.

A year into ownership I gathered every penny I had and had a good body and paint job. It was beautiful.

In 1990 I sold it to buy my first house. A dark day.

With the price of big block Mach 1 cars going through the roof over the next few decades I figured I’d never see one again.

As luck would have it I did pretty well in the corporate world and in 2013 had some extra money so set to find my car. I found it but under a tarp and not for sale.

Today I reached out again to the owner ready to offer what it would take and found out it is in the middle of a ground up six figure restoration. I guess he’s keeping it but at least it’s coming back to life and will be better than ever.

End of story, unless I chase the owner down again in a few years. Lol
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 09-02-2022 at 02:16 PM.

Wow! Cool story. Would the owner share build progress pics? Or convince him to join here and start his own build thread?
    -Don____________

He said we’d stay in touch and he’d send progress pics.

I’ll ask if he minds me posting. I have some pics already.

That’s too bad that you couldn’t buy it back, but at least you know it’s not going to rot away under a tarp.
    Hopefully the owner let’s you post the pics.
    Last edited by N89; 09-06-2022 at 12:26 PM.

Cool story/memory. Though tough to think about now, I believe you made the right decision at the time (buy a house). I"m sure that's turned into a pretty good investment. Great that you're still able to keep an eye on it. Sounds like the current owner is making his own big investment, but I wonder if it will really turn out as good as your house did?

At some point, when gas powered cars are fewer and fewer, I wonder how many buyers would be out there to purchase a 69 Mach 1...and whether it will retain it's value? I guess that goes for a lot of the "special" gas powered cars in peoples garages/collections.

One of my uncles bought a brand new 1969 mach 1 in 1969 with a 390 auto.
    I remember as a young kid in the early 70's going to my aunts house sometimes and seeing this car in the driveway and being drawn to it because it was so different looking than most cars.

Would always slowly walk around it when I saw it.
    That experience must have made me like Mustangs,especially the first generation.