Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  126
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is putting a LS in a mustang wrong?

I lean towards keeping powerplant and chassis in the same family but don't hold it as a hard rule. I've always been enamored with the Volvo P1800. If my lottery tickets ever hit I'd buy one. Initially I thought it'd be a LS candidate but then I saw these guys who pimp them out using a Volvo powerplant. Looks perfect and i'd go to the bought, not built family for it.

https://www.cyanracing.com/

Seriously considered putting the all aluminum 5.3 in mine instead of the trick flow HCI. At one point I knew more about LS's than I care to admit.
    More power is more funner.
    Last edited by 1BAD92LX; 10-13-2022 at 12:37 PM.
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    That being said, the second most badass fox at track day is a Chevy.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BAD92LX View Post
    Seriously considered putting the all aluminum 5.3 in mine instead of the trick flow HCI.
    We would of had to deduct points for that, then you would of been third
    -Don____________

Honestly fine with LS in 1974 to 2010 Mustangs. Stock block 302s have a power limit, mod motors (besides the 4.6 DOHC SC motors) cost a fortune to wring stout reliable power out of comparatively, I just kinda "get it" in that sense. Would I do it? No probably not I see myself just getting agitated with the problems associated with swaps like non factory gauges, losing AC, having to keep a parts list of what piece or systems comes from what car. By the time I did a swap, with the motor combo I want, done to look and feel totally factory inside the car and functioning as such I could probably have built the stock motor to same power level. And then ironically given this post, I know I'd get tired of hearing everyones unsolicited opinion on the swap. Also I think 90% of LSs sound like a fucking garbage compared to a mod motor or a 302, and somehow that means more to me than a power figure.

If you LS swap a 64.5 to 73 I think you're foolish or possibly mad, maybe both.

2011+ I see no advantages in removing a Coyote for a pushrod Chevy. Seems like hacking up a good car for a lateral move at best.

That's my take anyway,
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

To me it depends on a few factors, but generally-no. Car guys, well, real car guys are all about modifying and trying different things. To take out a perfectly good Coyote and swap in an LS is silly to me, but not really wrong if there’s a good reason for it. Now if we’re talking about a show car or garage queen then there are better choices than an LS.

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Honestly fine with LS in 1974 to 2010 Mustangs. Stock block 302s have a power limit, mod motors (besides the 4.6 DOHC SC motors) cost a fortune to wring stout reliable power out of comparatively, I just kinda "get it" in that sense. Would I do it? No probably not I see myself just getting agitated with the problems associated with swaps like non factory gauges, losing AC, having to keep a parts list of what piece or systems comes from what car. By the time I did a swap, with the motor combo I want, done to look and feel totally factory inside the car and functioning as such I could probably have built the stock motor to same power level. And then ironically given this post, I know I'd get tired of hearing everyones unsolicited opinion on the swap. Also I think 90% of LSs sound like a fucking garbage compared to a mod motor or a 302, and somehow that means more to me than a power figure.

If you LS swap a 64.5 to 73 I think you're foolish or possibly mad, maybe both.

2011+ I see no advantages in removing a Coyote for a pushrod Chevy. Seems like hacking up a good car for a lateral move at best.

That's my take anyway,
    Depends on what your looking for, while Coyote makes H/P it lacks any real torque which the LS makes in gobs.

Personally prefer at least to stick with the same make.

But sometimes the budget does the deciding and when it comes down to it. Power, economy, reliability and PRICE. Chevy just might have nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Nope. Power plant should match the chassis. That’s just my opinion.

That being said, the second most badass fox at track day is a Chevy.
    This. Must be an old guy thing.

“We choose to build Ford Power,” Kennedy said. “We choose to build Ford Power in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.”
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    This. Must be an old guy thing.
    Not for all of us. Lifetime hot rodder, sometimes on a paper thin budget did what funds allowed n put a smile on his face.