Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  91
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wtf I guess cash is no longer king?

Wtf I guess cash is no longer king?

So weird thing happened today, went to a dealer to look at a new vehicle for the wife.
    We took the vehicle for a test drive, she loved it and we decided to buy it, sat down to work on the deal and when I told the salesman that I would be paying cash he said that he will have to add $7,800 to the price of the vehicle, supposedly the advertised price is for lease or finance only.
    Wtf is going on, is this normal?

I posted about cash being an issue when I tried to buy 4 different ZL1's I saw out West this summer. Most tried to force me into financing, signing a contract I'd keep loan at least 24 months or did as you saw n added additional charge on for cash. Told em I accept their terms n bought nothing.
    WTF happened to price they advertise is the price you pay?

Really don’t get how they can get away with that.

Does the price they want for cash equal MSRP?

OR above.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    I posted about cash being an issue when I tried to buy 4 different ZL1's I saw out West this summer. Most tried to force me into financing, signing a contract I'd keep loan at least 24 months or did as you saw n added additional charge on for cash. Told em I accept their terms n bought nothing.
    WTF happened to price they advertise is the price you pay?
    Sorry I missed your post on this, we’re you looking at new cars or used?

We are looking at a new vehicle, wonder if the same goes for used cars.
    Doing a bit of quick math the $7,800 they wanted to add to the price of the vehicle is roughly the cost on the interest to finance, I think this dealer finances directly to the costumer so they want to make it up if you pay cash. I guess it makes sense but it would be nice if they advertised this up front.

In my case the extra cash they want is above MSRP.

I would hard pass on the purchase. I feel that the car market is on the verge of a massive collapse. Rising interest rates, high inflation combined with more and more supply chains coming back online = higher inventories and aged cars.

to compound things, this year is seeing record repo rates south of the border and now dealers have less options to offload cars quickly in the US. Incentives will be returning soon.
    FABMAN

I’d try another dealer. Or call the manufacture directly and see what they say.

Ultimately they can charge what ever they want. And vehicles are fetching a premium right now. Dosnt mean you have to pay it though.

Personally I’d tell them flat out why I’m walking and take my business elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by FABMAN View Post
    I would hard pass on the purchase. I feel that the car market is on the verge of a massive collapse. Rising interest rates, high inflation combined with more and more supply chains coming back online = higher inventories and aged cars.

to compound things, this year is seeing record repo rates south of the border and now dealers have less options to offload cars quickly in the US. Incentives will be returning soon.

Yes I agree when it comes to the used car market, prices are already dropping and will continue to drop.
    For new cars I’m not so sure, specially with the “premium” cars, there will be more incentives but the prices will not drop. I hope I’m wrong tough.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    I’d try another dealer. Or call the manufacture directly and see what they say.

Ultimately they can charge what ever they want. And vehicles are fetching a premium right now. Dosnt mean you have to pay it though.

Personally I’d tell them flat out why I’m walking and take my business elsewhere
    I told them that there was no deal and the salesman didn’t seem bothered at all, they know the car will sell anyway.
    But I will try another dealer for sure, I’m in no rush.