Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting conversation.

Interesting conversation.

A topic came up on a Facebook page I’m a part of for Appliance techs. Just a networking help each other out kind of thing. I gave my take as both a tech and an owner. And was surprised at the reaction. Lol. It’s relevant to other industries especially trades. Was curious of others takes.

Basically a younger guy asked about ear pieces and headsets both to take calls and to listen to music.

My take was. No, when in a customers house, that customer and their appliance deserves your undivided attention. Headset for in the truck if you don’t have a hands free set up. But taking calls while on the clock for a job is rude and unnecessary.

The first push back was the right to listen to music. Which caught me off guard since our job is diagnosing a big part of that is being able to listen to both the customer and the appliance.

The rest was along the lines of it’s hurting business by not answering calls. My take is that’s what answering machines are for. Customers don’t want to pay you to take calls from other people. And most understand that.

Just curious about other peoples take on this. I thought at first I was being too old school but I caught some serious flack from some other tech older than me.

So you take the calls or leave a message?

Was in a mech shop a few weeks ago, surprised, make that shocked owner was ok with mechanic in the shop completely tuned out with ear buds in.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Was in a mech shop a few weeks ago, surprised, make that shocked owner was ok with mechanic in the shop completely tuned out with ear buds in.
    Yeah. Every shop I worked in. Radio was okay. Headphones a safety hazard. Tuned out can’t hear anything going on around you.

Exactly that.

Club Supporter
    I'm not in the trades but my motto is that the "customer" (ie. this could be a co-worker, employee, customer) in front of you right now (so to speak-IRL or virtually) gets your time and attention. Anyone else can take their turn in line.

Astronauts aren't listening to tunes on their buds when taking off.

Pilots aren't listening to tunes on their buds when landing.

White knuckle driving in a blizzard has the radio off and passengers silent.

Music or any content consumes some amount of mental energy.

Is the employer paying for part or full attention?

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post

My take was. No, when in a customers house, that customer and their appliance deserves your undivided attention. Headset for in the truck if you don’t have a hands free set up. But taking calls while on the clock for a job is rude and unnecessary.
    100% it's rude. In my field most times I work solo, I can easily get away with wearing ear buds. I choose not to wear them, as I want to be aware of what's going on in my surroundings.

Courting customers isn’t much different from courting a date. In the case of a customer you’re seducing them for their $$.

I know how I’d react if I had a date in front of me that was taking calls. I know how I’d react if my date insisted on listening to ear bud music while with me.

Try leaving in ear buds with music when your wife is talking to you.

The only way a customer, date, or spouse will “tolerate” this is if your time is highly valuable and a scarce commodity. The keyword being tolerate.

No issues with my guys wearing headphones/pods. If you are doing your job and it doesn't inhibit the ability to work safely (ie so loud you can't hear hazards) enjoy your music or podcast and make your day more tolerable. Listen at a volume that if the customer has a question you can answer, but half the time having those ear buds in makes the customer who would normally stand 1' behind you making small talk or asking a million questions go back to going about their day. Likewise if myself, another PM or a another tech calls you to ask timelines, location, needs, or pick you brain on an issue by all means, pick up. Don't cuss or be disrespectful and don't be on a personal call the whole time but a quick "hey, yes I'm at XXXX, we have about an hour to finish, materials are good" or "hey, yeah I've seen that before what can cause it is XXXXXX so make sure to check XXXXX first" has never made anyone mad.

We've never had a Google review state "Service tech was on time, solved my problem immediately, billed me only for the time they were there, left the site clean, but wore headphones and therefore I'm leaving 1 star". Likewise I'd take a tech in my house who comes in, says hello, pops in his buds and knocks out the task in an hour vs chatty cathy who comes in, starts telling me about his day, his ex wife, his buddies, then wants to do the song and dance to justify the call (that I booked) and why he's the supreme lord tech and winds up taking up 2-3 hours of my day.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLips View Post
    Courting customers isn’t much different from courting a date. In the case of a customer you’re seducing them for their $$.

I know how I’d react if I had a date in front of me that was taking calls. I know how I’d react if my date insisted on listening to ear bud music while with me.

Try leaving in ear buds with music when your wife is talking to you.

The only way a customer, date, or spouse will “tolerate” this is if your time is highly valuable and a scarce commodity. The keyword being tolerate.
    I've never had my HVAC guy try to take me to bed after he repaired my furnace, but after reading this now if I see him without head phones on listening to me intently I'll know it's on like Donkey Kong.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate