Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  217
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Watch Enthusiasts Thread!

WTF
    some history was made in the watch world this week

summary - a very cool actor and race car enthusiast got a watch as a gift from his wife in the late 1960s, which he wore all the time until the mid 1980s.... and then generously gave it to his daughter's boyfriend at the time....because the boyfriend did not have a watch

over the decades...that ugly Rolex Daytona that dealers could barely get off their hands gained some traction with the enthusiast crowd and eventually became THE one to collect

this particular model of the Daytona took on a new nick-name : the Paul Newman

well.....this week Paul Newman's actual Paul Newman sold at auction

ahem....for $17,800,000 usd

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/pa...ive-watch-ever

WTF
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    imo....this is gonna do to the vintage Rolex market what Barrett Jackson did to the vintage Mopar/hemi and Shelby Cobra market

aka - a bunch of folks who want way too much money for their old neglected junk

that Daytona was one of 2000 pieces (not a one-off or even a very limited run).....and in terms of complications in the movement.... it wasn't even close in comparison to other notable high priced auction pieces....and it's a stainless steel watch...not some precious metal

the reality back in the early 1970s was that a dealer would knock the dust off it because it was back in the store room and sell it to you for 1/2 price.....about $1,500

to get a comparable entry level Rolex Daytona today would set you back about $17,000 cdn

the only reason Rolex only made 2000 of the Newman pieces at the time....was because they weren't selling

for perspective - Eric Clapton's Patek Philippe that sold a few years back for $3.6 million...was one-of-four produced and a super complicated movement that would set you back about $300,000 to get a new comparable piece today

getting 17+ million for that was completely insane

Beauty is in the eye of beholder kinda deal??

I think I need a Speedmaster...
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

WTF
    had a nice score today

b-day coming up in a few weeks and the cutie-pie was asking what I wanted....said the same this as last year (which netted a Seamaster Chronograph)...."be more than happy with some new socks"....and apparently my wife knows that's code for "I can never have enough cool watches"

planning a mainfloor bathroom reno in 2018 so the Breitling I've been all horny about is just not in the cards

but I mentioned I've been eyeing this cool Oris Big Crown Pilot Chronograph....more of a tool watch...way different than the other pieces I have.....so we went to Bayview Village this aft to kick some tires

and everything was 50% OFF

it was a fucking steal

oris20171229_155446_resized.jpgoris20171229_155455_resized.jpgoris20171229_155407_resized.jpgoris20171229_155424_resized.jpg

46mm
    7750 valjoux
    chronograph
    day and date windows
    display back

I like the brown strap on this but not a fan of the tang buckle......and these pieces look great on a textile strap....so the store is ordering a grey/green Oris textile strap with a fold over clasp that'll take a few weeks to arrive

the Oris Pilot stuff have a real IWC look to them......at about 25% of the price of IWC.....and in this case about 12% of the price......2nd Oris for me.....probably not the last

wears smaller than my 44mm Seamaster even though it's a 46mm (the Seamaster is a seriously thick bastard)....lume is fantastic....and the only watch in the rotation now with proper numerals on the dial

I have a Bulova, a Citzen Nighthawk and some cheap 100 dollar citizen i got for 10 years service at the company i work for. Ive always been after a Breitling tho...almost any model would work for me. Not a huge fan of Rolex tho. Ive seen a couple Panerai id wear too. Omega doesnt really tickle my fancy either...Aude Mars Pigot has one or two id wear as does Tag. Id take a fake Breitling....have you seen some of the fakes out there? With Seiko movements in them there almost worth 120 bucks lol

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF View Post
    had a nice score today

b-day coming up in a few weeks and the cutie-pie was asking what I wanted....said the same this as last year (which netted a Seamaster Chronograph)...."be more than happy with some new socks"....and apparently my wife knows that's code for "I can never have enough cool watches"

planning a mainfloor bathroom reno in 2018 so the Breitling I've been all horny about is just not in the cards

but I mentioned I've been eyeing this cool Oris Big Crown Pilot Chronograph....more of a tool watch...way different than the other pieces I have.....so we went to Bayview Village this aft to kick some tires

and everything was 50% OFF

it was a fucking steal

46mm
    7750 valjoux
    chronograph
    day and date windows
    display back

I like the brown strap on this but not a fan of the tang buckle......and these pieces look great on a textile strap....so the store is ordering a grey/green Oris textile strap with a fold over clasp that'll take a few weeks to arrive

the Oris Pilot stuff have a real IWC look to them......at about 25% of the price of IWC.....and in this case about 12% of the price......2nd Oris for me.....probably not the last

wears smaller than my 44mm Seamaster even though it's a 46mm (the Seamaster is a seriously thick bastard)....lume is fantastic....and the only watch in the rotation now with proper numerals on the dial
    I forgot about this thread...have to post my Black Friday purchase sometime.

That is a nice looking watch and the 7750 Valjoux is a nice movement - congrats! I like the bezel too - Chronoswiss and Breguet has some bezel/cases with that style also.

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bksrt8 View Post
    I have a Bulova, a Citzen Nighthawk and some cheap 100 dollar citizen i got for 10 years service at the company i work for. Ive always been after a Breitling tho...almost any model would work for me. Not a huge fan of Rolex tho. Ive seen a couple Panerai id wear too. Omega doesnt really tickle my fancy either...Aude Mars Pigot has one or two id wear as does Tag. Id take a fake Breitling....have you seen some of the fakes out there? With Seiko movements in them there almost worth 120 bucks lol
    The problem with fakes is that you'd be funding organized crime and terrorism if you support them.

Quote Originally Posted by 92redragtop View Post
    The problem with fakes is that you'd be funding organized crime and terrorism if you support them.
    Plus they never really mimic the real thing. May fool a random passerby but anyone who knows, knows. My Breitling Chronomat weighs as much as my phone, a fake not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate